Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rMBP acceptable heat/temps?

Hi all,

I'd just like to hear what some of your opinions are on what an acceptable temperate would be for the GPU/CPU. Since I'm recently married and have a child on the way, my gaming time has been reduced significantly. I'm playing maybe for two hours at a time, three nights a week. Since this laptop was over a 2k investment, I just want to make sure I'm not causing any harm.

The games I've been playing lately are GW2 (CPU temps top out at around 80C, GPU at 65-70) and Civ 5 (CPU tops out at 85-90, GPU at 75-80).

Things to note:

I do most gaming in Bootcamp (Win 7 64bit)

I use LubbosFanControl to keep fans at max (side note: is it bad to constantly have fans at max?)

I have disabled TurboBoost

In game resolution is set to 1920x1200

Graphics options set to medium for the most part

I usually get between 45-60 FPS (except in GW2 where I have it locked to 30 which helps drastically lower heat)

Thanks for any insight that can be provided, and I'd be happy to add any info that I may have missed. I've done my own research and found no definitive answer!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 1:05 PM

There are no replies.

rMBP acceptable heat/temps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.