Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend Airport Extreme 802.11g with Airport Express 802.11n

I bought a new AE 802.11n and I want to extend my network from my old Airport Extreme 802.11g. I can't figure out how to do this.

Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 12:55 PM

1 reply

Oct 22, 2012 1:08 PM in response to ThirdEye

Unfortunately, the newer "n" AirPorts and older "g" AirPorts are not compatible if you are trying to configure the AirPort Express to "extend a wireless network" using wireless only.

The "extend a wireless network" function and feature is only found on newer "n" AirPorts.

If you can connect the AirPort Express to the older AirPort Extreme using a permanent wired Ethernet connection, it is possible to configure the Express to provide more wireless coverage that way.

Using an older, very difficult setup called WDS, it might be possible to configure the Express using wireless only, but the end result would be a network that provides only half the speed of your older "g" AirPort Extreme, so this is definitely not recommended due to the severe performance drop that will occur on the network.

Extend Airport Extreme 802.11g with Airport Express 802.11n

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.