Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Specifying DHCP Options (TFTP Server Address) in Lion Server

Hi,

How do you specify DHCP options in Lion Server? I want to specify the TFTP server location so I can recover a seemingly bricked Cisco 7960 but adding the options in /etc/bootpd.plist doesn't seem to have any effect. I've tried the following to no avail:

<key>dhcp_option_150</key>

<array>

<string>192.168.0.101</string>

<string>192.168.0.1</string>

</array>

<key>dhcpoption150</key>

<array>

<string>192.168.0.101</string>

</array>

<key>dhcp_option_150</key>

<key>dhcpoption150</key>

This can't be rocket science to achieve. Any pointers anyone?

TIA,

Stu

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:21 AM

While the man page for the Apple DHCP server implies that defining a DHCP option code with human readable form like your posted example is possible my own findings are that it only works with encoded data values. The encoded data values are in base64 format.

I have previously written a GUI utility to generate such values in a simple manner. I was hosting this on MobileMe but that of course has shutdown. However it looks like the following site http://dhcp-option-code-utility.mac.informer.com/ is providing a copy of my utility. Just use it to generate the right information and then paste it in to the /etc/bootpd.plist file.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2012 9:21 AM in response to Big Stu

While the man page for the Apple DHCP server implies that defining a DHCP option code with human readable form like your posted example is possible my own findings are that it only works with encoded data values. The encoded data values are in base64 format.

I have previously written a GUI utility to generate such values in a simple manner. I was hosting this on MobileMe but that of course has shutdown. However it looks like the following site http://dhcp-option-code-utility.mac.informer.com/ is providing a copy of my utility. Just use it to generate the right information and then paste it in to the /etc/bootpd.plist file.

Nov 9, 2012 9:32 AM in response to 5pointsit

5pointsit wrote:

I'm kinda new to working in Terminal. How do you open the /etc/bootpd.plist file for editing?

With Terminal.app open type the following

sudo vi /etc/bootpd.plist

The word sudo tells the computer to give you the access level needed to modify this system file. Of course the above is if you know how to use the old Unix command of vi.

Another option would be

sudo pico /etc/bootpd.plist

pico is a more modern editor favoured by some.

Specifying DHCP Options (TFTP Server Address) in Lion Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.