Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rename Pages Documents doesn't work on Mac

In Pages, Mountain Lion, I follow the instructions to rename the file. But when I hit return, it revers to the same name. I have found it impossible to rename either by going to the name itself and the drop down menu, or using the menu under File.

The only way I have succeeded is to copy and paste into a new document, or to export to something like Word (ugh).

Anyone have a solution?

iMac (27-inch Late 2009)

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 4:58 PM

What are the instructions you are following? There are quite a few ways to rename a file.

If you're using Mountain Lion & Pages 4.2, click on the name of the document in the title bar & choose rename from the menu. You can also rename a file in Finder by selecting it & pressing the Return or Enter key to highlight the name & then type in the new one.

User uploaded file

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2012 4:58 PM in response to yorkmin

What are the instructions you are following? There are quite a few ways to rename a file.

If you're using Mountain Lion & Pages 4.2, click on the name of the document in the title bar & choose rename from the menu. You can also rename a file in Finder by selecting it & pressing the Return or Enter key to highlight the name & then type in the new one.

User uploaded file

Oct 23, 2012 2:39 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

I don't mean to be impolite, but I wonder whether anyone actually reds the original post and pays attention to it before jumping in with an answer.

I made it clear I am no novice in Pages, nor in Mac. Have used Macs over 25 years. Have 27" iMac, 24", original Air, brand new Air, 15" professional, iPhone 4S, and iPad2.

I run Mountain Lion.

I have the latest Pages, 09 4.2.

On both 27" and new 13" Air, whether ask a desktop document or Pages in iCloud, simply highlighting the name of the file under RENAME, whether on the doc itself or from file, REVERTS to the original name.

Oct 23, 2012 8:08 AM in response to yorkmin

yorkmin wrote:

In Pages, Mountain Lion, I follow the instructions to rename the file. But when I hit return, it revers to the same name. I have found it impossible to rename either by going to the name itself and the drop down menu, or using the menu under File.

The only way I have succeeded is to copy and paste into a new document, or to export to something like Word (ugh).

Anyone have a solution?

I have read the original post several times to try and understand your question.

Could you please show me the reference to iCloud, your versions of Mountain Lion or Pages, and that you are no novice and have been using a Mac for 25 years?

I can't currently access iCloud but I can save to my hard drive and change the name either in Finder or using right click on the file name at the top of the document's Window Bar.

I believe you can drag in/out files from Finder into your iCloud account but documents remain specific to the application that creates them in iCloud, also that since MsWord has not been updated for Lion or Mountain Lion that you will not be able to use it with iCloud.

Peter

Oct 23, 2012 8:24 AM in response to yorkmin

The answer turns out to be simple. But there was a step missing in the explanations. You can't simply rename the file by changing part of it. You have to delete the name and then type in a new name.

So when I tried to update a file from, say, October 21 to October 22 in the name--showing a day's difference in the writing--it always reverted to October 21. Simply pressing enter didn't cut it.

But when I DELETED the name, then typed in an entire NEW name, it worked. Explanations need that step added.

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Nov 8, 2012 5:36 AM in response to yorkmin

In an earlier post, I shared that on the initial open file dialog when launching Pages, it gives the choice of iCloud or On My Mac, whether a new document is to be created, or an existing one is opened.

When this dialog displays files on iCloud, one can right-button (or two-finger tap) select the file and choose Rename from the resultant menu.

User uploaded file

Feb 12, 2013 10:20 AM in response to drlisann

Thanks very much for this. You're right: the fourth step is the crucial one, and a less than obvious one. One would have thought just clicking anywhere in the document would have done the trick, but it doesn't. Also, and this is probably too obvious to mention, but in Mountain Lion "Rename" now functions as Snow Leopards "Save As," unless I'm missing something.

Rename Pages Documents doesn't work on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.