Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clipwrap versus Mpeg Streamclip

Hi,

I am the director of a student-made film that is beginning post-pro. We shot our movie on a Panasonic HDC-HS900 camera. Unfortunately, I didn't know that I had to preserve the wrap on the file to import the .mts into FCP. I now need to convert the files before putting them in FCP7. So.....which is better to use, Mpeg or Clipwrap??? I hear that they will both work, and I tested Clipwrap and like how it works.

Also....is converting the .mts files to ProRes 422 the best way to go?

Thanks in advance!

The Director

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 2:51 PM

12 replies

Oct 23, 2012 5:27 PM in response to EpicSummerMovie

I've used MPEG Streamclip casually for years, but last year on a large project it was giving me fits with quality and audio drift. I went a sibling product of BlueX (it was a SD project) and my problems were over.

Moral: All transcoders are not equal.

If Brad's product takes a bit longer, it's probably working a lot harder to get you the best possible clip. In my modest experience, higher quality conversion usually translates to better (more correctable) color.

If your system is slow, onsider borrowing (or otherwise gaining) a "render hog" to run on processor-intensive tasks. I was able to cut a feature a couple of years ago on my "old faithful" G5 dualie by borrowing a 8X Mac Pro to handle the Color and sequence rendering.

Good luck

Oct 24, 2012 4:10 PM in response to EpicSummerMovie

Ok, thanks for all your input, guys! I've done some clicking around and think that the program Compressor, which I have on my computer will work. Any thoughts on this? I've started working some with it and am having trouble getting large amounts of clips into it. It will freeze up and I have a LOT of clips to convert, so if I have to bring them in a few at a time it will take forever...does anyone have a way to fix this? Again, thank you for all the input you have already given.

Dec 17, 2012 1:10 PM in response to Zaman13965

Clipwrap will CONVERT the files if you choose to export as ProRes. It's only if you choose "rewrap" that it'll just add a wrapper so the file will play in quicktime and you'll be able to use compressor and other programs to convert the file. It will not be editable in fcp. You may be able to load it in fcp, but you'll have a barrel of pain down the road.

Clipwrap versus Mpeg Streamclip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.