Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic downloads not automatically downloading new episodes

I can't seem to get the Automatic Download setting to actually work the way that it should. As far as I know, this setting should automatically download a new podcast episode when available, and with the most recent update to the Podcasts app, we can now restrict that downloading to wi-fi only. Yippee!!

Problem is that new episodes don't get automatically downloaded, at least not consistently. When I subscribed to a podcast and set it to automatically download, on wi-fi only, it worked perfectly the next time an episode was released. But then the following week it did not work. It did not start downloading until I actually opened the Podcast app and went to that podcast's episode page.

So I tried unsubcribing and resubscribing again, and then the next time a new episode came out - worked just fine. The next morning the podcast was there and ready to go. But then the following week again (this past Friday/Saturday), once again, no joy. It did not download the episode until I opened the app and looked at that podcast's episode list just now.

So what is the deal? Is this yet another bug with this crappy implementation of a podcast app? I really would love to use Downcast instead, I really would, but Downcast does not store the podcast files in the same place as other media on my phone, which means it's not available when I scroll thru the menus when connected to my car stereo. My car stereo only accesses media files in the normal location, UNLESS it's playing before I connect it. But that's a pain, trying to remember to go into Downcast and play an episode before I connect the phone in my car.

Can anything be done about this, or am I not doing something correctly with the iOS Podcast app?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1, 16GB Black, 05.13.04 baseband

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 3:33 PM

12 replies

Oct 22, 2012 4:23 PM in response to PatrickGSR94

This is just a guess (and god knows with all the bugs in ths app), but it feels to me like it's not downloading the pocasts if the app is swapped out of memory. I haven't tested it, but there have been a few nights when I've gone to bed, and the last thing I was doing was listening to Podcasts. There were new ones in the morning. But many mornings it finds dozens when I start the app for the first time (which causes some terrible performance issues).

I notice the same sort of behavior when using other apps, then hitting the remote play button (on the headphones), and it starts using the Music app instead of Podcasts, even though you were only using it a few 'apps' early.

Dec 12, 2012 6:39 AM in response to PatrickGSR94

Apparently, the podcast app has to be running for it to automatically download. According to the Apple's support page ( http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5295 ) under the "Using Auto Download" tab:

Auto Download allows you to automatically download new podcast episodes as they become available while the Podcasts app is running.

I'm surprised that Apple can't figure out a way to allow push notifications to trigger the app to start downloading even if the app is not running.

Dec 21, 2012 4:24 PM in response to dennis300

I still have issues with it not downloading new podcasts with the app open. Sometimes it will work and start downloading new podcasts, but just as often there will be one that won't download. I have tried closing the app completely and re-opening it and closing the app completely and rebooting the phone. Usually when this happens I can't even manually download it, though sometimes that does work.

Dec 24, 2012 3:21 PM in response to danmcq

I get the following message every time I go to download Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck and have no idea why iTunes would care how many shows I have listened to. For the heck of it I deleted a bunch of them but still can't get that infernal "!" to leave!

Exclamation point

Next to a song: The song can’t be located; it may have been moved or deleted.

Next to a podcast: Recent episodes haven’t been downloaded because you have multiple unplayed episodes.

Automatic downloads not automatically downloading new episodes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.