Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Keyboards, two sounds, played *Live*?

I have two USB keyboards and would like to play, live, piano sound on one keyboard and upright bass sound on the other keyboard, using one hand on each. No recording, no sequencing. Only live. GarageBand instruments sound great, and GarageBand almost does what I want if I just don't hit the record button. The problem is that GarageBand (still) handles only 1 MIDI input. So either both keyboards sound like piano, or both keyboards sound like upright bass.

Will Logic Pro do what I want?

I don't really need a sequencer, though, and although I really appreciate the speed of my 2012 MacBook Air, with only 128 GB SSD memory, I don't want to install big apps that I don't need. Also, for $200 I maybe I should buy a hardware synth instead.

I'm an electrical engineer and a Mac developer but don't know that much about music synthesis yet. Are there any other apps or tricks I should consider?

Thank,

Jerry

MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012)

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 4:56 PM

Just to clarify a couple things… My two USB keyboards (Alesis Q25 and Q49) are MIDI controllers only. They do not have built in sounds. Also, will GarageBand for iPad handle two MIDI inputs? I've been collecting reasons to buy an iPad. Obviously, I could use GarageBand on the Mac for one keyboard/instrument and GarageBand on an iPad for the other keyboard/instrument, but that would be pretty kludgey.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2012 4:56 PM in response to Jerome Krinock

Just to clarify a couple things… My two USB keyboards (Alesis Q25 and Q49) are MIDI controllers only. They do not have built in sounds. Also, will GarageBand for iPad handle two MIDI inputs? I've been collecting reasons to buy an iPad. Obviously, I could use GarageBand on the Mac for one keyboard/instrument and GarageBand on an iPad for the other keyboard/instrument, but that would be pretty kludgey.

Oct 28, 2012 10:06 AM in response to Jerome Krinock

Two different MIDI input sources not possible in GarageBand, not in GarageBand iPad but possible in Logic.

Logic might be a bit of an overkill for your purpose although is it extremely flexible and customizable (better than any other DAW on the market). As an electrical engineer you might even feel quite at home with Logic's Environment, a place where many user struggle.

Did you ever look at MainStage? This is an app, previously bundles with Logic but now available separately in the Mac App Store. It uses all the instruments from Logic but with a user interface that is specialized for live performances. Check it out.

Edgar Rothermich

<edited by host>

I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

<Edited by Host>

Oct 24, 2012 5:40 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Thank you very much, Edgar. MainStage is what I was looking for. A live version of GarageBand, for $30.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, but, sheesh, it took several hours to download, and another several hours to figure out how to set up a simple "concert" with two keyboards. I should have said, as I often do, that I'm only an electrical engineer! But it's working now.

I hope that if I someday decide that I want Logic Pro, it will use the same 2 GB of sounds, samples or whatever MainStage needed to download on its first run, and not require another 2 GB!

Aug 1, 2013 10:31 AM in response to dino2000

I did buy an iPad Mini last year, but I don't plug my keyboards (Alesis Q-series MIDI controllers) into it. I plug my keyboards into my MacBook Air and use MainStage. The MacBook Air has two USB inputs, one for each keyboard.

I don't know much about MIDI interfaces for iPads, except that it's probably a mess now since you've got the 30-pin connector on the older iPads and the Lightning (or is it Thunder?) connector on the newer iPads. I'd recommend one that connects to the keyboard via USB instead of round MIDI interface, so that you don't need to haul out an AC Adapter for each keyboard. (USB supplies power, round MIDI does not.)

You'd also need an app like MainStage for iPad.

I use my iPad Mini to display music notation I generate with Finale and display with forScore.

Two Keyboards, two sounds, played *Live*?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.