Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using time machine to back up two computers

I have an iMac with all my work (60-70GB) on it which is constantly being back up by Time Machine.

I want to be able to go away with my laptop – copy all my work across – and then when I get back home copy over all the files that have changed.

Is there an easy way to do this with Time Machine?

The two computers aren't a clone of each other. The Applications folder is different between the two and I don't want to copy that. It's more a case of copying one work folder of 60-70GB of which quite a few files could change.

I hope I have explain that well. Please feel free to ask any questions.

iMac 28" Core 3i, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 6:53 PM

RobCubbon wrote:

I want to be able to go away with my laptop – copy all my work across – and then when I get back home copy over all the files that have changed.

No, TimeMachine drive should remain tethered to the iMac to make backups for the iMac boot drive and your files to restore to a new machine, that's what it's designed for.

Also you should have a TM for the laptop as well. In addition a seperated, occasionally updated bootable clone of each machine on each separate drives and stored off site. As well as burning data DVD's of your most important files and kept offsite in case of burglary, fire, theft, act of God or Satan or a worst a jealous spouse.

Most commonly used backup methods

I know that's a lot of drives, but it brings a lot of peace when something goes horribly wrong.

Now I have a nice solution for your laptop and iMac.

What you need is the free program called SyncTwoFolders over at Macupdate.com

What you do with this is you pick certain folder like documents and you Sync in either direction according to what you need, once it's (very very) carefully setup, you simply launch the program and click, it will decide what to copy in either direction so both folders, one on your laptop and one on your iMac, are recently updated and the contents are the same.

This way you have TimeMachine making your saved backup states and can recover on each machine to what it was before the Sync, just in case you make a misake.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2012 6:53 PM in response to RobCubbon

RobCubbon wrote:

No, TimeMachine drive should remain tethered to the iMac to make backups for the iMac boot drive and your files to restore to a new machine, that's what it's designed for.

Also you should have a TM for the laptop as well. In addition a seperated, occasionally updated bootable clone of each machine on each separate drives and stored off site. As well as burning data DVD's of your most important files and kept offsite in case of burglary, fire, theft, act of God or Satan or a worst a jealous spouse.

Most commonly used backup methods

I know that's a lot of drives, but it brings a lot of peace when something goes horribly wrong.

Now I have a nice solution for your laptop and iMac.

What you need is the free program called SyncTwoFolders over at Macupdate.com

What you do with this is you pick certain folder like documents and you Sync in either direction according to what you need, once it's (very very) carefully setup, you simply launch the program and click, it will decide what to copy in either direction so both folders, one on your laptop and one on your iMac, are recently updated and the contents are the same.

This way you have TimeMachine making your saved backup states and can recover on each machine to what it was before the Sync, just in case you make a misake.

Using time machine to back up two computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.