Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which Mac Pro to buy for Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro X?

Hi, I'm considering to buy a Mac Pro for my personal studio. I have 2 choices in my mind: 1st one is the "Quad-core (one 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon) with 6GB RAM", and the 2nd one is "12-core (Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) with 12GB RAM". I'll be mainly using Logic Pro 9 and hardcore video editing in Final Cut Pro X. I know the fact that having higher GHz than more cores may benefit you at some point, and only those software applications that are well-written for using multiple cores will be able to utilize the power of 12-core. So, I need to know that are Logic and FCPX are such apps? Are they able to utilize the power of 12-cores or a Quad-core with more GHz will be better? I'm looking for fast operation and smoother workflow, and I'll also be using this computer for a very long time (so, its a major investment!).

So, the ultimate verdict is to whether to go for more clockspeed or more cores? Money is not the problem here, and I will add more RAMs, SSD according to the need later after couple of months, but considering nothing else I need you to compare between these two machines! If the 12-core machine is even 1% faster I'll go for it, but I don't want to end up spending more money on the machine with will have less power and utility.

Regards. 🙂

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 5:51 PM

2 replies

Oct 23, 2012 8:19 AM in response to rasheeq.rayhan

Logic uses all cores, and they do make a big difference. I'm not a fan of the quad core machine, it's a bad deal and I'd probably consider an imac over that. The 12 core should be very fast, if you're looking at a cheaper option I'd look at a used or refurb 2009 or 2010 eight (or six or twelve) core. Those are pretty much the same as the newest mac pros but cheaper and you have the option to run 10.6.8 on them.

Which Mac Pro to buy for Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.