I have the STRANGEST things happening with birthdays on both my iPhone (5, 32GB, white, iOS 6) and iPad (32GB, iOS 6, white).
I'm posting it here in the iPhone forum, assuming more people may be able to help.
First of all, I sync a Google Apps calendar with my iPhone and iPad via CalDAV. I also sync my Google Contacts with my address book (including birthdays), which syncs via my MacBook on OS 10.6.8 using the sync icon in the system tray. (I hesitate to call it MobileMe, even though that's what the System Preferences calls it, because it really has nothing to do with MobileMe -- it does not sync via MobileMe [I do not have an account], it just syncs my Address Book with Google with my phone or iPad when hooked up. It is through a WIRED connection that it does the final sync to the device.)
So, my birthdays from my address/contact books and my Google contacts DO sync and they DO show up on both my iOS devices in the fancy Birthday calendar with the cute cake symbol, as well as in my Google calendar.
NOW HERE'S THE CRAZY PARTS.
- Sometime recently, my birthdays were getting repeated. But oddly, enough they are a different amount on the two iOS devices. I have 18 copies of all birthdays (on the same day) in my iPhone calendar and 68 (YES, SIXTY-EIGHT COPIES) in my iPad of every birthday.
- My Google calendar shows NO SUCH ERRONEOUS copies.
- The crazier thing is that the copies of the birthdays are NOT on the birthday calendar. In fact, IT'S AS IF THEY JUMP AROUND ON DIFFERENT CALENDARS. They show up all one color, but some random color. They will appear or disappear only SOMETIMES if I turn "off" some calendars or others (for example, once they would go away if I hid a "Personal" calendar, another if I hid a calendar I subscribe to via Google but sync via CalDAV from Weather Underground, and another calendar that is a Google calendar but also my "default calendar" in the iOS settings). And this is all within minutes.
- When I go into an instance of the repeated calendar event, it will actually say it belongs to my default calendar, regardless of what was hiding or showing it before.
- When I try to "edit" the birthday just to see what happens, it crashes the app.
WHAT. THE. ______???
Here's what already I've tried:
- Searching the internet for someone with a similar problem. NADA.
- Turning off the option to sync my Google birthday calendar via the Google sync page (I think it's actually unnecessary anyway, since iOS pulls from the contact book, anyway). That did nothing.
- Hiding all calendars and then selecting them to show one at a time to figure out which calendar was causing the problem, but as I mentioned above, it is not consistent.
- Re-syncing my devices with iTunes.
- Searching for and merging duplicate contacts in Google contacts.
- Turning off the iOS birthday calendar.
- Killing and re-starting the calendar app.
- Re-starting my iOS devices.
- Re-syncing my contact book with my devices.
Someone. Please. Tell me you're having this problem and that you have the solution? I'm going crazy over here! I can't remember anything that may have triggered this to happen.