Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new terminal at folder service

Wow, talk about taking a useful feature and totally crippling it. Opening a terminal window at the current Finder directory would save me a bunch of time, so I was excited when I discovered that it was a service built-in to Lion and Mountain Lion.

Well, not so much. The service appears to be crippled in two completely arbitrary ways:

1. Hotkey for the service simply doesn't work in column view. Why? Heck if I know. Apparently having a directory highlighted in column view doesn't count as 'selected', whereas the same thing in icon or list view does. Mind you, you can still right-click in column view, then go to Services, then manually select New Terminal, but that's completely useless if the goal is to save time.

2. As far as I can tell, it's impossible to open up a terminal window in the current directory. Again, I can't fathom any reason for this, particularly given that this is the obvious use-case for this service.

Between issues 1 and 2, the service is pretty much useless to me. If someone can tell me I'm just doing something wrong, that would be great. But assuming that's not the case, is there any way I can get around these boneheaded restrictions?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 3:26 AM

Yes, I can confirm that the keyboard shortcut does not work in column mode, although it works in list, icon and coverflow mode.

I will file have filed this as a bug with Apple.

1 reply

new terminal at folder service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.