Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This will not install on 10.8.2

802.11g AirPort Extreme Base Station or AirPort Express in OS X Lion

I donwloaded the software:

error message: Airport utility can‘t be installed on this disk. The version of OSX on this volume is not supported.

Any thoughts on what steps there are (if any).

Thank you

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 6:43 AM

There are ways to install AirPort Utility 5.6 on Mountain Lion.

See this article for one of them:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167965/mountain_lion_and_the_ancient_airport_ba se_station.html

Another way to do this.....if you have Time Machine backups......is to go back in time and find the AirPort Utility 5.6 application on your Mac and restore it to the desktop. Then manually drag it into the Utilities folder.

Apple will not officially support either of these methods, so you assume some risk here if you want to try this. They work fine for me....but I cannot guarantee that they will work for you.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2012 6:43 AM in response to peterapple

There are ways to install AirPort Utility 5.6 on Mountain Lion.

See this article for one of them:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167965/mountain_lion_and_the_ancient_airport_ba se_station.html

Another way to do this.....if you have Time Machine backups......is to go back in time and find the AirPort Utility 5.6 application on your Mac and restore it to the desktop. Then manually drag it into the Utilities folder.

Apple will not officially support either of these methods, so you assume some risk here if you want to try this. They work fine for me....but I cannot guarantee that they will work for you.

This will not install on 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.