Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 picking up dings VERY EASILY

I've been babying my iPhone 5 (black slate) since I got em, and in the past 2 weeks it still managed to pick up 2 dings along the attenna band.. very obvious cos the dings show up as silver... probably not as bad on the white iPhone...

I swear the phone has been in its leather case when not in use, only coming out to be used in my hands before going back in. My iPhone 4 in comparison has ZERO dings on it. Apparently the aluminium used in the iPhone 5 is really soft and the diamond sharpened/polished edge doesn't help. I see this as a DEFECT in design. This phone isn't meant to be used without baby gloves on... And I'm not even going into how hot the phone gets with normal usage (like the iPad 3, or worse!).

VERY disappointed... I own 1 x iPhone 3GS, 2 x iPhone 4, 1 x iPhone 4S, all 3 versions of the iPad, and now i get the iPhone 5 which is a total let-down! Yes it looks nice, but its not meant to be used... I understand now why it was unveiled in a glass case on a podium and not out of Tim's pocket >..<

Apple, i'm disappointed. Maps I can live with, cos I have every confidence you'll get it working in time. But such a boo boo in the hardware is unforgiveable. In this moment in time, you are not living up to Steve's legacy. Very shoddy and sloppy product there!

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 2:25 AM

7 replies

Oct 23, 2012 7:36 AM in response to gdgmacguy

Hi Mum :)

The point is to share my woes with other people here. And perhaps gripe abit. Maybe it'll get picked up by people who can make a case even.. But not you obviously.. You're here to sound smart and shoot people down with inappropriate references to people's family members. What do you know about my mum?

But I digress. Well I'm disappointed. Sorely disappointed, not just with Apple but also with the community if gdgmacguy here is anything to go by!

Oct 23, 2012 7:43 AM in response to justanut

justanut wrote:

Hi Mum :)

The point is to share my woes with other people here. And perhaps gripe abit.

Please re-read the Terms of Use of this forum that YOU agreed to by signing up to post here. This is NOT a forum to share your feelings, woes, and gripes. This is a technical support forum for users to help others with technical support issues.

Oct 23, 2012 7:47 AM in response to justanut

I don't know of any metal product that doesn't ding or scratch during normal use. Their goal was to make the phone light and sleek, which was what they accomplished. If they had used a harder metal, there would most likely be issues with weight, reception, temperature, etc. Also, keep in mind that devices are getting greener. This means that they are being made with materials that are easier to break down (hence the quality).

I know that everyone wishes that Steve could come back to us, he has left the company in capable hands, and the sales of iPhone 5 have proved that.

Gabe

Oct 23, 2012 7:49 AM in response to gdgmacguy

Right. So your way of helping is to tell me that this forum is useless, that no one here has a solution, and rather than using the forum for its intended or unintended use, I should just go to Apple direct.

Maybe I'm the only one with the ultra soft antenna? Or maybe everyone out there's facing the same issues! Maybe someone can tell me how the dings are appearing? Isn't that why I post to the forum rather than carry on a walled conversation with Apple?

Oct 23, 2012 7:52 AM in response to GabeZs

Hi GabeZs,

I understand that. But for my iPhone 5 to start looking worse for wear compared to my 2year old iPhone 4 is kinda too much.. Minor hairline scratches I can live with (like the one on the bottom rear glass piece that was there out of the box). But chips on the antenna without any knocks that I know of.. While protected in a leather pouch is just.. I don't know.. I'm heartbroken :(

iPhone 5 picking up dings VERY EASILY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.