Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp install hard drive depletion.

I installed Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

When I run windows in boot camp, i can watch my hard drive space deplete from 20GB down to 1MB within a matter of minutes. I then get the "Low Disk Space" pop up message.

This does not affect my OS X partition, just the Windows partition.

This happens even at first boot on a clean install. I have tired installing windows 4 times now, and it does it every time.

I am running a Macbook Air 13" that I bought in June 2012.

I am creating the flash drive from my windows iso file, everything done through the Boot Camp Assistant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Boot Camp Erroe

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 7:54 AM

11 replies

Oct 23, 2012 8:43 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

That is incorrect. 32bit Win 7 requires 16gb. 64bit requires 20gb.

I already have Win 7 64bit installed on a 20 gig partition. Successfully running.

When you open the folder and look at available space on the disk it may say 4.6gb available. Close the window and reopen it a second later and now I only have 3.9gb available.

This isnt a question about trying to install. Its already been installed. This is simply a question as to why my hard drive space would be depleting with out me doing anything with the system.

Oct 23, 2012 8:47 AM in response to MetalStryker

MetalStryker wrote:

That is incorrect. 32bit Win 7 requires 16gb. 64bit requires 20gb.

I already have Win 7 64bit installed on a 20 gig partition. Successfully running.

When you open the folder and look at available space on the disk it may say 4.6gb available. Close the window and reopen it a second later and now I only have 3.9gb available.

This isnt a question about trying to install. Its already been installed. This is simply a question as to why my hard drive space would be depleting with out me doing anything with the system.

OK, if you say so. But I'll repeat it again. 20GB is not enough space to install Windows.

20GB is the absolute minimum for the operating system. You then need space for swap, graphics, temp, data, etc. So keep trying with 20GB but while you are, read some of the hundreds of posts here that say that 20GB is not enough room.

Oct 23, 2012 8:49 AM in response to MetalStryker

MetalStryker wrote:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/products/system-requirements

This is the link to Microsofts website regarding min system requirements for Windows 7. This will substantiate what I said in the previous reply.

Thanks.

You can post anything you want, Windows 7 needs a minimum of 50G to run correctly, as many have found out after they have installed with less.

Oct 23, 2012 12:45 PM in response to dalstott

Ok,

So now I did the install with a 60GB partition.

After installing I had 41.3GB of free space. I let my computer sit without touching it or running/installing anything after the fresh install.

After 10 minutes I now only have 31.9GB of free space remaining.

Now that we have eliminated that it is not due to the partition size...

Anyone have any ideas?

Oct 23, 2012 1:12 PM in response to MetalStryker

MetalStryker wrote:

Ok,

So now I did the install with a 60GB partition.

After installing I had 41.3GB of free space. I let my computer sit without touching it or running/installing anything after the fresh install.

After 10 minutes I now only have 31.9GB of free space remaining.

Now that we have eliminated that it is not due to the partition size...

Anyone have any ideas?

Windows temp and pagefiles, exactly what you did not have room for before.

Oct 23, 2012 1:33 PM in response to MetalStryker

On the Mac there is a program called Disk Inventory X that compiles file and folders into a graphic presentation so as to reveal all the big items that might be hogging up disk space. I do not know if there is a comparable utility for Windows however. On the Mac there is a large sleep image file that can be discarded but will be reconstructed quickly. Maybe Windows has a similar hidden file that would explain your compromised space.

http://www.derlien.com/

User uploaded file

Boot Camp install hard drive depletion.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.