Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving iTunes library to a new Windows 7 PC with the latest version of iTunes

I just ogt a new Windows 7 PC. I'm trying to move my iTunes library to the new machine. I copied the files to an external hard rive but when I follow the instuctions for put them on the new machine nothing happens, my music is not there. I got all the dialog boxes and it looked lik eit worked but when iTunesopened, my music wasn't there.

Also - I have an iPhone 4S and use the cloud, how do I go about syncing my iPhone wih my new machine?

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 4S, Windows 7, iTunes (latest), iPhone 4S, Windows

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 9:23 AM

11 replies

Oct 24, 2012 1:58 AM in response to janicefromeverett

janicefromeverett wrote:

... MyiTunes is on my (ancient) winows XP machine.I also need to know how to sync my iPhone with my new PC. ...

To have everything... From your Old computer...

Copy your ENTIRE iTunes FOLDER to an External Drive... and then from the External Drive to your New Computer..

Full Details Here > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751

An Added Bonus is that you will have a Backup of iTunes.

Nov 15, 2012 5:09 PM in response to diesel vdub

THANKS diesel vdub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just set up a new Windows 8 computer using an SSD and downloaded iTunes. I copied my iTunes library from my previous computer to a new HDD since it is too large for the SSD. I spent days trying to find how to get iTunes to link to the library on the HDD.

This was so simple (hold <SHIFT> while lauching itunes) that I feel embarressed not knowing about it before 😊

Thanks again!

Feb 8, 2013 6:18 AM in response to AnaMusic

AnaMusic wrote:

To have everything... From your Old computer...

Copy your ENTIRE iTunes FOLDER to an External Drive... and then from the External Drive to your New Computer..

Full Details Here > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751

An Added Bonus is that you will have a Backup of iTunes.

This iTunes folder sounds interesting. .. Can't be any folder named iTunes .. a specific one?

Don't think stuff like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes

would work. Most likely only the program itself and no settings.

You might refer to:

C:\Users\Raqtor\Music\iTunes

But then again you would need to make sure to have your consolidated music directory copied also. Most people without SSD drives or interest in their file placements have the music in that

D:\DriveC ting\Users\Raqtor\Music\iTunes

directory also.

I will try moving the music and the D:\DriveC ting\Users\Raqtor\Music\iTunes and see if that works.

Moving iTunes library to a new Windows 7 PC with the latest version of iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.