Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Php 5.4 unstable in OSX Lion?

I recently installed php 5.4 onto osx lion. As I work with a few CMS sites I figured this would be a good idea. This installation was done on the back of a wipe and re-installation of the system but since then, I noticed a few things;

1) the CMSes have issues when connecting to the database.

2) An hour or so into development and the amount of active and inactive memory grows quite fast. To the point of actually impacting the responsiveness of the system.

3) Increased shutdown.

I would like to go back to 5.3 since I didn't have thses issues on 5.3 but I have heard it told that that may require another system re-install.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 10:19 AM

How did you install PHP? A standard install of a newer version of system software should go into /usr/local or something similar. If you do that, there is no need to wipe and reinstall. If you tried to overwrite the system build, then you will need to wipe and reinstall. This time, keep the new build separate. As a side effect, it may run properly too.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2012 10:19 AM in response to DarkStar1

How did you install PHP? A standard install of a newer version of system software should go into /usr/local or something similar. If you do that, there is no need to wipe and reinstall. If you tried to overwrite the system build, then you will need to wipe and reinstall. This time, keep the new build separate. As a side effect, it may run properly too.

Php 5.4 unstable in OSX Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.