1 75 76 77 78 79 Previous Next 1,216 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 8:17 PM by Meg St._Clair Go to original post
  • 1,140. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    Iamawesome997 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I definitely agree to your opinion! This is supposed to be a support community, not a place for people to whine about how their brand new iPad 3 is not outdated. Why can't we just turn this back into what it's supposed to be- a support column? And yes, I definitely think that MyMac8MyPC should get his own blog space here on Apple's forums. We should all contribute to his efforts as a humanitarian, to help not just the hurricane sandy victims, but also everyone in dire need of help in this world. Keep up the good work, MyMac8MyPC, and I hope that your efforts in the end will pay off. And to all you people out there who disagreed to his idea of Apple making a donation to the Hurricane Sandy victims, you should all be ashamed of yourselves! You are dispicable human beings in the eyes of God, and maybe even Steve Jobs will be dissapointed in all you users for using Apple's forums to vent your anger instead of using it for a worthy cause. All those in support of MyMac8MyPC's efforts, you are all welcome to help. Those who still wish to continue in this childish manner, please leave this forum... NOW!

  • 1,141. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    Iamawesome997 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    What I find weird is that at first mylesd was sort of scolding and insulting MyMac8MyPC, and now he's supporting MyMac8MyPC. something doesn't add up...

  • 1,142. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    Iamawesome997 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    You know, MyMac8MyPC, you said that these whinners wanted Apple to throw them some freebies, but Apple is the sort of company that doesn't give away freebies, with that guy who downloaded the first millionth app who got some gifts as an exeption. So basically all this whinning is pretty much pointless, and all the more reason this should stop. And why do only the Apple users complain? Samsung and pretty much every other Android based company updates their products very very frequently, but I don't see their fans complaining about their updating cycle... somehing just doesn't add up...

  • 1,143. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    NomusaMagic Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    How dare u be presumptuous and lecture on philanthropy. Not that it's any of your business but  I feel deeply for Sandy victims and have already donated to the Red Cross, along with matching employer funds which resulted in a SUBSTANTIAL amount. I DONT NEED APPLE TO CONTRIBUTE FOE ME ... I'm an RN and was raised to give back and help my fellow humans. I ALSO on a volunteer effort to collect and send eye glasses and non electric sewing machines to Haiti so women there can earn money to help support their children ..... I do local suff on an ad hoc basis ... Always donate to the organization that serves whatever condition friends, coworkers and others loved ones died from (Alzheimer's, heart, cancer foundations). I've done the Race for a Cure (breast cancer) for 11 years straight.  Finally, i do the usual sustaining contribution to employers United Way campaign. I'm a PROUD PROGRESSIVE LIBERAL!

     

    That said, other people's troubles in NO WAY impacts my right to speak out about what I see as an injustice to ME!

     

    Here's how a CLASSY organization handled a similar situation (and plz don't bother responding with 999 versions of "but that's different because ...."  I have an ipad 3 but an android phone. Given my current view toward Apple, my 2 yr upgrade will NOT be an iPhone!! I'm done and as you say, have elected to vote with my PURSE!

     

      http://androidcommunity.com/asus-offering-cash-vouchers-for-nexus-7-buyers-in-eu rope-20121109/

     

    On October 29th Google announced the new 32GB and HSPA+ capable Nexus 7 tablet. The same day they announced the 16GB model would now be offered for the same price as the 8GB version before it. Obviously many are upset with the fact that a few days ago they paid much more than it currently costs now.

     

    ASUS UK has confirmed that users who purchased the Nexus 7 before October 29th are eligible to receive a €30 voucher, or €25 in the UK right from ASUS themselves to make up the difference. Users in Europe that purchased the tablet before the 29th from Google or ASUS only are eligible. You’ll need to register the tablet online, with receipt (proof of purchase), and apply for the voucher before November 30th.

     

    Sadly the voucher will only be good in the ASUS online store. Users can snag a free case, additional chargers, or whatever else you feel the need to purchase from the ASUS online store. So far this is the only report of any sort of voucher program, but we have a feeling the US and other regions could get the same treatment. We know many of you are upset over the change so stay tuned for more details.

  • 1,144. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    Atheistic One Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I absolutely LOVE your comment/response!! Also, I both respect and admire your willingness to be pro-active in helping your fellow human beings. Bravo!! The world needs more people like yourself and others like you! :-D

  • 1,145. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    MyMac8MyPC Level 4 Level 4 (1,440 points)

    NomusaMagic wrote:

     

    other people's troubles in NO WAY impacts my right to speak out about what I see as an injustice to ME!

    Just because "you see" something as a injustice, doesn't mean there is a injustice. Our jails are full of people who once had that same mindset. So what, precisely, did Apple supposedly do that was so wrong? It has been explained several times already that before you used your Apple product that you agreed to certain terms of use. One of the things listed was that Apple has the right to make improvements to their product(s) at any time without your permission. These agreements are usually worded as "...reserves the right, in its sole discretion and without any obligation, to make improvements..." or "...reserves the right to make changes, corrections and/or improvements to its products without your permission..." or "...may make improvements and changes in the product(s) or the program(s) described herein at any time." etc. etc. BTW this is standard legal wording for pretty much every product from every electronics manufacture, be it high tech or otherwise. Android, kindle, nook, iPad, etc. etc. all contain such agreements. The point here is that Apple is not doing anything different regarding updating their product(s) that every other manufacture does industry wide.

     

    If you do not wish to enter in to such an agreement Apple (and every other manufacture) allows you to opt out before you use the product by returning it. I'm assuming you did not return your product so you in effect agreed to these terms of use. So now that Apple decides to make needed improvements to their product your going to start crying about it? Seriously? There's not a judge in the country that would not laugh in your face if you tried to bring Apple to court over this agreement that YOU willingly entered into. You cannot cry foul now. Apple did nothing wrong. YOU made all the assumptions. Whether you like it or not these are the facts of the matter.

     

    The only way in which Apple would have violated the terms of use would be if they (in this case Apple) publicly stated that they would not introduce a new product before a certain time frame. Apple has NEVER made such a statement. However, if you know of such a statement being made by Apple then that's your ace in the hole, and you need to publicly share that information here and now, but more likely the "one year" assumption is just that, an assumption on YOUR part. Apple (and every other manufacture) is free to come out with new product(s) at ANY time, at their own discretion, without anyone's permission. It has been stated here many times that ALL high tech products get refreshed sooner or later. If you don't like this then simply stop buying high tech products. Simply put - if you can't prove that Apple publicly said that they wouldn't refresh the iPad sooner than a one year period of time, then you have no case, and you are infact whining about nothing. I know that's not what you want to hear but those are the facts.

     

     


    NomusaMagic wrote:

     

    The same day they announced the 16GB model would now be offered for the same price as the 8GB version before it. Obviously many are upset with the fact that a few days ago they paid much more than it currently costs now.

    Apple more than doubled their return policy from 14 days to 30 days regarding this matter. They didn't have to do that but many local Apple stores did. Obviously those who purchased their iPad 3 31 days before the introduction of the iPad 4 still won't be happy, but we both know that the line has to be drawn somewhere, and in this case 30 days was that line. Apple has no control over how privately owned stores handle their returns. This is true for other manufactures as well. BTW, I think most people would rather get an upgrade to a new iPad 4 then to receive a "voucher" that has to be spent on a certain website, so I think Apple was more than fair here.

  • 1,146. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    mylesd Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Thank you both for the comments. It's nice to see people that are able to respect others opinions. I am not sure why some individuals on this blog feel self important and arrogant and a need to put people down for sharing their frustration with Apple. I think it's important to let Apple know how we feel. I don't expect Apple to do anything about my issue with the iPAD and the release of the iPAD 4 after 6 months, however it felt good to share my frustration. Why this blog went to other topics about giving monies etc to humanitarian efforts as a way to put people down is very strange indeed. What we do outside this blog is personal and to assert the an individual is a whiner because he or she has shared frustration with Apple is misguided and that we should focus our efforts on something more important is out of context. From my experience so far, this Apple Support Community feels more like a community of users that have elevated themselves to a higher order, an that their opinions are in some way more important.

     

    It was pointed out to me that I'm a Level 1 person on this site and have no credibility. Well if that's the way Apple wants it, great, maybe it's time to move away from Apple products altogether. I follow Apple and the news Via Flipboard. There are other products out there and I think it's time to evaluate them more closely.

     

    I use my iPAD for medical imaging and the retina display is important to me for viewing images. I can view CTs, MRIs, digital images and find the iPAD is a great tool. Therefore my frustration with my purchase. I went from the I PAD 2 to the iPAD. So when the iPAD 4 was released it felt frustrated. Had I known, I would have waited 6 months. What was such a surprise was that apple changed its market cycle on the product release. From what I had read, this is not normal for Apple. I need the highest resolution on the iPAD, so the iPAD 4 would be best for me now. So, I felt this cycle change could have been disclosed by Apple. Either way, Apple would have sold to of product.

     

    So, I too will review what's in the market and start to focus my efforts away from Apple. I have been a strong supporter of Apple. In fact I always share my opinion that Apple has the best products. But now.....it's time to pause and think before I purchase. It's a new Apple for sure.  "Think Different" thanks Steve, I think I will.

  • 1,147. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    MyMac8MyPC Level 4 Level 4 (1,440 points)

    Iamawesome997 wrote:

     

    You know, MyMac8MyPC, you said that these whinners wanted Apple to throw them some freebies, but Apple is the sort of company that doesn't give away freebies, with that guy who downloaded the first millionth app who got some gifts as an exeption. So basically all this whinning is pretty much pointless, and all the more reason this should stop.

    Logically you would think so, but the economy is bad all over and these whiners figure that if they "whine loud enough" that Apple might buckle and give them that shiny free handout. I hope they don't because this is such a petty matter matter and if Apple gives into things like this then Apple will be creating an atmosphere where no matter what they do - someone will start whining about it with hopes of receiving some freebie.

     

     

     

    Iamawesome997 wrote:

     

    And why do only the Apple users complain? Samsung and pretty much every other Android based company updates their products very very frequently, but I don't see their fans complaining about their updating cycle... somehing just doesn't add up...

    People see Apple as being one of the biggest companies in the world and they figure that Apple must have a money tree in their backyard, so of course they want something from it. But the simple fact is that you can't please everybody all the time, and regardless of what Apple does, there are still going to be whiners out there crying over some such made up injustice. Apple just needs to focus on making great products and to let the whiners cry themselves to sleep. There are much bigger things in the world to care about.

  • 1,148. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    tonefox Level 6 Level 6 (8,300 points)

    mylesd wrote:

    I need the highest resolution on the iPAD, so the iPAD 4 would be best for me now.

    You've got the highest resolution on an iPad. The latest iPad is the same resolution as your iPad 3.

  • 1,149. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    MyMac8MyPC Level 4 Level 4 (1,440 points)

    tonefox wrote:

     

    mylesd wrote:

    I need the highest resolution on the iPAD, so the iPAD 4 would be best for me now.

    You've got the highest resolution on an iPad. The latest iPad is the same resolution as your iPad 3.

    Tonefox is correct Mylesd, the iPad 4 does have the same resolution as the iPad 3. The only difference between the displays is the manufacture (the iPad 4 screen is manufactured by LG, not samsung). Both manufactures produce the same displays to the same specs. If you want a better display you'll need to wait for the Retina screen in the iPad mini. BTW before you jump ship you might want to do yourself a big favor and check on who makes the medical apps for competing tablets first. I have many clientele in the medical field and one big reason they all use iPads is the incredible medical apps available to the iPad, but not to other tablet manufactures. Even the few apps that are on other tablets still don't share all the same features. There's a reason for this. Apple has the best developers around. I have tried to own other tablets from other manufactures but keep coming back to the iPad, because it has the best tablet environment bar none.

  • 1,150. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    mylesd Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    To BoBo123a:  he wrote the following.

     

    You have no credibility here because you're a big whiny moron. Level has nothing to do with it.

     

    What a childish remark BoBo123a  If this site is truly made for Apple users that wish to discuss issues and share concerns, why do we put up with this kind of behavior?  Wow, all I find in this Apple Community is a lot of negative emotional attacks on people.  Not to mention the childish comments.  But what should I expect from a person that has a tag name BoBo123a, exactly what I copied and pasted above, a childish remark.  I guess this means we are going to fight each other on the play ground at lunch....

     

    What a total waste of time and energy Apple. I had greater respect for Apple, but its truly waning. I always felt that people that choose Apple products were one cut above the rest.  Well, I guess my assumption was incorrect. We see all kinds of people in this blog.  Glad to see the diversification, but not happy with the childish comments.

     

    Whiny......is this the comment to be expected of  the more seasoned bloggers to ID new members.  Is this a right of passage test to see if we can take the attacks?

     

    For me I have seen no value in the Apple Community at this point.  However it may just be the bloggers in this area.  I have followed other bloggers in other discussions and not experienced this behavior.

     

    Truly a disappointment.  So, lets watch and see what comment you through my way next BoBo123a.  I am waiting with baited breath, setting on the edge of my seat.  Or just maybe, you'll show some class, act like an educated adult with social skills. Or maybe not. You'll just do what's easy, name calling....wow that's impressive.

  • 1,151. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    mylesd Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Yes, thanks you are correct, I should have included the A6 chipset which will improve the display of the images as I scroll through them. This is an important added feature for sure.

  • 1,152. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    Bobo123a Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    This is not a blog.

     

    You are a big whiny baby.

  • 1,153. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    MyMac8MyPC Level 4 Level 4 (1,440 points)

    mylesd wrote:

     

    If this site is truly made for Apple users that wish to discuss issues and share concerns...

    That's your first mistake. This site is for helping people with technical issues, NOT "discussing issues and sharing concerns". Please understand that people come here precisely to help other Apple users. However, when people come here and abuse that privilege by whining about something, then of course people will make the kind of comments that your reading. I assure you that if you and others would have used this site for its intended purpose, that such comments would not have been made.

     

     


     

    mylesd wrote:

     

    We see all kinds of people in this blog. 

    First of all please, I beg of you, learn what a blog is. This is NOT a blog! Seriously, the difference between a blog and a support forum are pretty profound. You keep referring to this support forum as a blog and you're only making yourself look stupid. If you want to come across as being credible then start learning the basic differences between such things, and stop making overly emotional stuff up. Pretty simple really

  • 1,154. Re: RIP, iPad 3
    mylesd Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Thanks BoBo123a. You have now confirmed you are a child.

1 75 76 77 78 79 Previous Next