Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stereo Bleed L+R - Backing Tracks

I have read a bunch of posts about this issue but not sure I've seen any final fixes or comfirmation that this is a known problem.

I create backing tracks for bands. I recently switched to using Logic Pro and there is stereo bleed when music/click are panned hard left and right.

I've tried using mono and stereo sources, using audio and software instruments.

I've tried with effects and without

Making sure any busses are also panned

Is this a known flaw in Logic (albeit a rather huge one) or am I missing a setting somewhere.

Please help thanks

Madtux

Logic Pro

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2017 3:30 AM

Just in case this helps anyone in the future - I solved this by using a DI box to balance the signal. Not ideal but removed the click bleed for me.

I've detailed how I do it and my exact setup in my blog here:

https://ghostnotesblog.com/live-backing-track-drummers/

27 replies

Oct 23, 2012 11:42 AM in response to Madtux

Here's something interesting I just did.

I put an audio click (loop) for 16 bars and panned it hard left and rendered the track as an MP3 and a WAV.

Then using Soundtrack Pro I removed the Left channel click and normalized the right track of nothing to see what was there.

MP3 had bleed.

WAV had NO bleed.

Only strange thing is I can hear the bleed in real time through my right head phone without rendering anything.

Madtux

Oct 23, 2012 12:39 PM in response to Madtux

OK...Never mind previous post.

I just opened my song file for a completed song and recorded a wav version and listened to it and the click is still bleeding thru to the music and vice versa.

It can even be heard on playback in Logic.

This is becoming increasingly frustrating as everything else in Logic I love.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT...HOW ABOUT IT APPLE?

Madtux

Oct 25, 2012 10:27 AM in response to Pancenter

Pan Center.

No change when trying a different pan law.

Here are my findings and what I did.

Bounced a track as a MP3 and a WAV.

Opened them on my PC in Sony Soundforge.

MP3 had clicks and pops on opposite channel to click

WAV file was clean...no problems.

Convereted WAV to a MP3 in Sony Soundforge on my PC. Play back is perfect.

Here's the kicker. When I played back the new MP3 & WAV (that are perfect on my PC), there is bleed!!!! Conclusion the headphone jack in my MacBook and/or internal audio interface is the biggest problem.

Time to plug in my external firewire audio interface and continue testing to confirm.

Madtux

Oct 25, 2012 3:29 PM in response to Pancenter

I just discovered this problem last night. I use Cubase. But I've found the bleed issue happens with all programs on my Macbook Pro. I created a test .WAV file with sound hard-panned left, no signal at all on right. Through iTunes, Cubase, Quicktime Player, etc., I hear a dull bleed through the right channel. The overall balance is left, but it's NOT hard-panned. Even through a USB audio interface! If the Macbook itself is playing the sound, through any output, there's bleed. However, I synced up that file to my iPhone through iTunes and, with the same headphones plugged into the phone, I get no bleed, like it's supposed to be.

It sounds like this is an internal problem on Macbook that cannot be fixed. Funny, though, is that under the System Preferences, you can hard-pan the output of the whole machine (which there's really no need for, unless you're permanently hooked up to some sound system that needs to be corrected), and THAT seems to isolate channels completely. So the problem is somewhere internal between there.

The whole reason I bought this Macbook was for music production, since all along Macs have been touted as better for this kind of thing. This is unacceptable and frustrating. I don't like the solution to this being "use a PC instead."

Oct 25, 2012 3:50 PM in response to Brimaxian

Brimaxian,

I could not agree with you more. I moved 3 years ago to my MacBook for all my music production and in most cases it has been the best thing ever. I have struggles moving from Cakewalk Sonar (which I used from back in the windows 3.1 days) but am now fully up to speed with Logic Pro. To have bleed through the audio interface/headphone out is such a waste when everything else is so professional.

Does anyone have this issue with other Macs. Desktops, MacBook Pro's, I-pad, I-pod. Wondering where the issue ends with apple products.

Madtux

Oct 25, 2012 4:03 PM in response to Brimaxian

Hate to tell you this but Mac's are PC's, using PC type Intel motherboards and sometimes less that quality parts, especially the newer models.

I helped set up the local university both PC's (Win-7) and Mac's all running Nuendo, the only machine that broke down was one of the Mac's.. but that can happen to any hardware. Every user in the audio/vid dept agrees both platforms are equally stable and equally capable. You just have to spend a little time and know what you're buying. The advantage is, next summer I can upgrade the PC's processor.

The other thing to mention, you can't be serious about audio production if you're going to use the internal sound chip, sorry... no way around that, they are noisy, dirty little buggers with a lot of crosstalk. It's a $2 chip imbedded in a noisy motherboard, it has limited and uneven frequency response. At least purchase a semi-pro audio interface.

Oct 25, 2012 4:23 PM in response to Pancenter

I only use the internal sound card when I'm working on tracks and sounds. When it comes time to play live I run everything out of my external firewire interface.

When bouncing tracks in Logic does it matter what the audio interface is? It's all software based at that point isn't it? I only thought the interface came into it for playback or recording. I use 100% softsynths these days to create every sound I use.

As far as PC vs Mac for quality I agree with software and machine (speed, etc.) but for stability not so sure. I have had at least 3-4 crashes a year on stage with my PC but for the last 3 years not one with my Mac. It was always a driver issue with the PC and rebooting on stage would take forever making sure everything was turned on in the correct order. I still use both PC's and Mac's but for live I'd only ever use a Mac.

Madtux

Oct 25, 2012 5:22 PM in response to Madtux

You are correct, when bouncing tracks it doesn't matter that you're using internal audio but it does affect how you mix, the separation you hear between instruments, the eq you use. If I were mixing and bouncing to use tracks for Live use I'd personally want the most accurate mix possible. The older Macs had decent audio hardware manufactured by Texas Instruments, now Apple uses either Realtek or Crystal audio circuits. Realtek is notoriously bad. Check About This Mac I'd be curious to hear what audio hardware you have onboard.

You have the crosstalk problem too, correct?

As far as PC/Mac stability... gotta disagree, with the exception that you do have to know a little more about computers to set a PC up to run perfectly stable plus one needs to use reliable hardware/software. I use an older Acer laptop for live 8 (up to) 16 tracks, live recording. I depend on this for income, it has never failed, plus it can manage to do the job recording to a separate partition of the large internal system drive. I've never been able to do that on a Mac laptop, it always glitches out after about 15 minutes. To much extra writing to the drive by the operating system.

Oct 25, 2012 5:24 PM in response to Brimaxian

Brimaxian wrote:

Like I said, the same bleeding happens even through the audio interface. I've gotten some feedback from other users. It seems that this problem is only happening to some Macbooks; others don't have the same bleeding issue.

Ok, that's odd, it even happens with your USB interface with the headphones plugged into the USB interface.

What kind is it?

Stereo Bleed L+R - Backing Tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.