Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to expand the text area of the login/lock screen for the warning message?

I put our company's standard warning message in the Security & Privacy system preference ("Show a message when the screen is locked.") and it overflowed the allotted text area for the warning message text on the login screen and lock screens. It seems that the area allows about 250 character messages and I need to provide about 500 characters. Is there any way to expand the text area allotted for this purpose?

Bob Reed

Mac OS X 10.7-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 11:17 AM

4 replies

Oct 24, 2012 10:41 AM in response to baltwo

I am with you 100%, but the lawyers pay my salary, so...

I have created a PolicyBanner.txt file - and it works, but it looks cheesy as ****. I was hoping to find a way to expand the "Lock Message" text area to fit all of the text on the login screen itself. Seems like that ought to be simple, but so far, I haven't found anything.

Nov 2, 2012 9:51 AM in response to baltwo

To be a little more specific about the challenge I'm facing, I want to increase the allotted text space for the field I've outlined in the attached image. Seems like there ought to be a NIB file that could be edited to accomplish this task:

User uploaded file

I would appreciate any advice on which file should be edited to expand the text field.

Bob Reed

Is there a way to expand the text area of the login/lock screen for the warning message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.