Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the 2012 Mac Mini Support Dual Thunderbolt Displays?

Now that Apple has announced the 2012 Mac Mini will have Intel 4000 integrated graphics only, the big question is...Does the 2012 Mac Mini Support Dual Thunderbolt Displays?

Mac mini

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 11:59 AM

17 replies

Oct 23, 2012 12:40 PM in response to JeffN427

Until there's an official statement I think we can only make an educated guess at this point. As a data point, I use a 27" Thunderbolt Display with the 2011 Mac Mini 2.5Ghz with 6670M discrete graphics. It does "ok" for casual use, though it really struggles with full-screen HD video (there's a very noticeable choppiness), at least in Safari. It's passable with Firefox or Chrome, though even there the computer's fan revs up at times. Also, actions such as swiping Launchpad screens exhibits a noticable lag.

And this is with one Thunderbolt Display. I'd think adding a second would result in performance that would be less than ideal.

Oct 24, 2012 10:32 AM in response to JeffN427

According to Apple Support - "the 2012 Mac Mini will support two displays, but one of them will need to be an HDMI display. It will not support 2 Thunderbolt displays."

This is really NOT an upgrade if it has this video limitation. HDMI is NOT a real display option and I am disappointed with Apple for this downgrade. All of the other upgraded components are not relevant if I cannot use Dual Thunderbolt displays.

Oct 24, 2012 12:05 PM in response to orionproject

According to the features page, it will support two. (I don't believe it.)

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/features.html

Thunderbolt technology in Mac mini is phenomenally fast. It features two 10-Gbps channels for data transfer. That’s up to 12 times faster than FireWire 800 and up to 20 times faster than USB 2. But beyond speed, Thunderbolt gives you unprecedented expansion capabilities. You can daisy-chain as many as six Thunderbolt devices — including two Apple Thunderbolt Displays — to a single port. And since Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, Mini DisplayPort devices like the Apple LED Cinema Display plug right in, too.

Dec 8, 2012 7:18 PM in response to MPF54

How about if you run full screen video (e.g. Hulu, using Safari). Does it run smoothly?

On my 2011 2.5Ghz Mini with 16GB, Thunderbolt Display, even with the discreet video card, I see jerkiness. And I see the 2012 model only has the Intel on-board GPU...

And how about if you view "Spaces" and swipe the screen of icons from side to side? On mine, the panel of icons scrolls partway, pauses, then scrolls the rest of the way. Does it scroll smoothly on the 2012? Not that this particular function is all that important, but it is symptomatic of the overall lag issue.

Feb 19, 2013 12:12 PM in response to Famous Dena

The thunderbolt cables are built-in to the 27" Thunderbolt displays. Simply connect the first thunderbolt display to the Mac Mini via the thunderbolt connection. Then connect the second thunderbolt display to the thunderbolt connection on the first monitor.

Now you have both monitors and all the ports on the backs of the thunderbolt monitors available. (6) USB 2.0, (2) Gigabit Ethernet, (2) Firewire 800, and another thunderbolt port to connect a large disk arrary or some other thunderbolt (non-monitor) device, PLUS all (4) of the USB 3.0 and other ports on the Mac Mini. It makes for a great setup.

Does the 2012 Mac Mini Support Dual Thunderbolt Displays?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.