Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate 1TB replacement programme

Dear all, well I have just been informed that my 21inch iMac is one of those affected. I have made an appointment at the local apple store (Milton Keynes in England). I am however a little concerned about loosing data. I use time machine for local backups and then clone my HD with superduper on a weekly basis - is this sufficient?

i have read that Apple may offer to transfer all my data over - is that correct?

bw

Andrew

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 1:34 PM

Yes, correct. Between Time Machine and the SuperDuper backups, you should be fine. Do a SuperDuper backup before taking your iMac in.

Also, Apple will likely keep your old hard drive that they are replacing. Some people have concerns with this due to personal data on the hard drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2012 1:34 PM in response to andrew platt

Yes, correct. Between Time Machine and the SuperDuper backups, you should be fine. Do a SuperDuper backup before taking your iMac in.

Also, Apple will likely keep your old hard drive that they are replacing. Some people have concerns with this due to personal data on the hard drive.

Oct 23, 2012 1:55 PM in response to andrew platt

As BGreg says, make a clone and a Time Machine backup before taking it in. This is what I did when I had mine done last week (I also made an extra clone for good measure 😉) then erased the drive on the Mac and put a clean install of the OS on the drive before taking it in. I expect I could have not bothered with the last step.

Got to say the replacement drive is as quiet as a mouse compared to the Seagate.

Nov 2, 2012 3:46 AM in response to andrew platt

well, I took my iMac into the Apple store in Milton Keynes, they accepted it for the HD replacement process and were happy also to replace my DVD drive as well (I have the extended warrenty and it was becomming very unreliable). the replacement drive seems ok, Hitachi.

I did however have lots of fun restoring from my backups! I tried time machine first and 10 hours later it had stalled. So i then had to use my clone and restored via superduper - all fine now. I did have to enter my licence code for Office again, but that was all.

thanks to all for their help

bw

Andrew

Seagate 1TB replacement programme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.