Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an OS 9 machine

I need it because it runs a software I can't get on newer machines. I installed a new printer driver (Brother brand) on it. After instalation I went into chooser and could not see my printer on there. I tried restarted the machine but everytime I restart it with the printer connected, it doesnt. I have to disconnect the printer for the mac to come on. when it comes on and then I connect the printer, it is not in my chooser... any attempt to connect the printer after the restart chime results in the machine freezing immediately.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 1:48 PM

6 replies

Oct 25, 2012 7:16 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Hi Tom,

The driver for the printer was downloaded from the company's website. It is for the OS9. The installation was fine and successful. The mac is a Power Macintosh 7500/200. It is running OS 9.0.4 (all available updates installed already).

I tried the shift key approach right now (three times). Same as before, the mac freezes when the printer is connected. The printer is a Brother HL-5070N model.

Thank you,

mola1969

Oct 25, 2012 11:51 AM in response to mola1969

The HL-5070N appears to be a model with three different interfaces (Ethernet, parallel and USB). Which one are you using?

Please note that it is not allowed to connect a parallel printer to the SCSI port of a Macintosh computer. This may damage the devices involved.

Also, the HL-5070N system requirements mention a "Power Macintosh with an Apple original pre-installed USB port". That may or may not be of importance here.

http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/ModelDisclaimer.aspx?Model=HL5070N#SysReqs

Ethernet is probably the appropriate way of connecting this printer to a Power Macintosh 7500/200.

Jan

I have an OS 9 machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.