Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my computer hangs frequently - rolling beach ball - apparently some endless loops - I have repaired the permissions countless times but the problem continues - the faulty permissions include java virtual machine and language libraries

I get the rolling beach ball frequently when using a browser -I have repaired the permissions a number of times - each time I do this - the same issues show up- language libraries, java virtual machine etc - after a restart the btowser works for awhile and then hangs again - i trashed both Chrome and Firefox and am now using Safari and Opera - neither of which work very fast and I still get a frozen screen - rolling beach ball - have to force quit.On the activity monitor it shows that the browser I am using has several hangs.

Aside from reinstalling everything - is there a fix for this?

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 2:29 PM

2 replies

Oct 23, 2012 3:15 PM in response to Pear Tree

Those Permissions errrors will keep appearing. They are not errors; ignore them. Your problem has nothing to do with Permissions repair. Many possible causes, one of which may be A-V. Do you have any A-V installed?

What does Disk Utility show for SMART Status for the drive? Verify the Disk.

Open Activity Monitor>CPU tab. Anything hogging the CPU when the slowdowns occur? Switch to the Memory tab. What does it show for free and inactive? Also, Page ins, Page outs and Swap used?'

How many applications open concurrently when this happens?

How much drive free space? You should maintain at least around 20-30GB.

Oct 23, 2012 4:24 PM in response to WZZZ

thanks- re the permissions issue -

re the rest of the issues - lots of drive free space, not many applications open - I use browser mainly - have maybe 4-6 tabs open, including email etc,

I do not have A-V installed

disk is verified -

the "hog" if one can call it that - is the browser -

re memory - will have to take a look next hang

I have only 2 gb memory - perhaps I should add more

and btw - this all started with a very buggy Chrome upgrade -which I have trashed along with Firefox, I have only one extension that I use with Opera

also - when typing -often get a delay - so maybe this is a memory issue.

thanks for your response

my computer hangs frequently - rolling beach ball - apparently some endless loops - I have repaired the permissions countless times but the problem continues - the faulty permissions include java virtual machine and language libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.