Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 5.0.5 Update

Be sure you are on the LATEST VERSION of Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion before updating to 10.0.6.

Verify that your third party plugins are 10.0.6 ready, as not all are.

Be sure to back up your events, projects, the update may not work with some plugins, yet.

Never update mid-project.

See this KB article from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5550

Review can be found here.

http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/review-2/review-final-cut-pro-x-1006-a-major-upda te

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 3:02 PM

20 replies

Oct 24, 2012 12:00 PM in response to DavidKC

Get "Preference Manager" free from Digital Rebellion. Use it to trash all FCP X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 preference files.

Move all three apps in to the Trash (no need to empty just yet, but no harm in doing it anyway, except of you still have trouble installing).

Purchased tab of the Mac App Store window, click Install for FCP X, wait for it to finish. Then do Motion. Then do Compressor.

If those don't work you need to get on the phone with Apple tech support.

Oct 24, 2012 12:06 PM in response to BenB

had no problem downloading motion 5.0.5 but it worked fine for a few hours then started a new project and the display on a dual monitor system dissapeared with greyed out options to put anything display back. so im doing a re-install with new contecnt build as well. let you know what happens

Oct 25, 2012 8:41 AM in response to WMYD

WMYD, I'm having the same problem. Have you found a solution?

After update, I opened and set Canvas to display on Secondary Screen. Now Motion won't display any windows except for the Inspector and crashes if I try and change anything.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times with no change.

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000052

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Oct 25, 2012 8:59 AM in response to leonard r.

contacted app store, they just tell me to redownload it. i did that 8 times before i contacted them. so i went to my time machine and just reinstalled 5.0.4 and im running again and just finished my work project. so ill try 5.0.5 again once i have some down time.....

man i tried everything i know to get it to work. more people need to have the problem, i guess!

Oct 25, 2012 9:10 AM in response to leonard r.

leonard r, try deleting your Layouts folder.

I tried using "Preference Manager" from Digital Rebellion to see if it deletes it, but it doesn't.

You can find the Layouts folder in the Motion folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Motion/

*By default, your user library is hidden so use cmd+shift+g to bring up the Go to Folder window and type ~/Library

I just verified that that folder is recreated when you launch Motion so you don't need to replace it with anything.

Motion 5.0.5 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.