Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Show Network Drives In Finder Sidebar?

Ok, this is pretty frustrating, and I'm only hoping that there's a hidden preference in some plist file that can fix this.

The problem is simple: Finder does not show maps network drives in the sidebar. It only shows servers (under the "Shared" heading) that you have mapped drives on. The problem with this is that it's useless if:

• You've mapped to a hidden share.
  • The network drive you mounted is a subdirectory of a share, not a root share.

In both of those scenarios (and I'm sure there are others), you cannot access the mapped folder under the "Shared" heading in the Finder sidebar. Even in the ideal case, where you can mapped a root-level share, it takes two clicks to get to it, instead of just one click if the mapped drive was shown under "Devices" or otherwise, directly.

The only work around for the moment is that mapped network drives show on the desktop. I've got a hot-corner assigned to show the desktop, so I can go to the hotcorner, then find the mapped network drive on the desktop. This is not by any means ideal, and doesn't help me when I'm browsing directories in a save/open dialog.

This is a huge flaw in Finder's interface. If anyone know of a hidden preference to change this behaviour and map mapped network drives show directly in Finder, please share.

Thanks

PS. Please don't suggest going into Finder's preferences and changing options in there, as there's no option that controls whether network drives are shown in the sidebar. Showing the "Shared" server is not the same as showing the actual mapped end point.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 4:51 PM

13 replies

Oct 27, 2012 9:54 PM in response to ghoch

I understand what you said exactly. I was just saying that after unchecking the "Connected Servers" option and dragging the mounted share to the Devices section (where it would now stay), I could then turn the "Connected Servers" option back on and the shares would remain under "Devices". However, I've since found that this only works up until the next time Finder restart, so indeed, "Connected Servers" option must be left unchecked if you want a permanant fix.

Pretty poor quality control by Apple. They're getting worse with every release. I've used hardly any of the new features in Lion and Mountain Lion, yet each release seems to introduce new problems. Why can't they stop breaking ****?

Oct 25, 2012 12:31 PM in response to Wardrop19

Here's what fixed mine:

I had set the Finder's Preferences for the sidebar to show "Connected Servers" thinking that would allow me to drag the shared folder to the sidebar but that actually was preventing me from doing it. I unchecked that box(Sidebar Preferences/Connected Servers) and then dragged the shared folder to the side bar in the "Devices" area and it stayed. This is on a Mountain Lion machine.

I hope this is helpful.

Oct 25, 2012 3:52 PM in response to ghoch

Yes, that did seem to work. I've now turned "Connected servers" back on, and the dragging and dropping of mounted network drives seems to be sticking. I'm sure it wasn't working before. It would be nice though if all mounted network drives automatically displayed under devices without them having to be dragged there. I'm sure some previous versions of OS X behaved in this way.

Oct 25, 2012 3:55 PM in response to ghoch

I may not have explained it well. The point is that you have to UNCHECK the "Connected Servers" in the Finder->Preferences->Sidebar. Otherwise when you drag a network drive to the sidebar it will only show the server not the share but with this unchecked you can drag the network drive to the "Devices" section and it should stay there. I've done this on both Lion and Mountain Lion machines and it worked just fine. Good Luck.

Oct 28, 2012 11:41 AM in response to Wardrop19

Yeah I noticed your post just after I sent my second one. I apparently was typing mine while you posted your original reply. No big deal. I'd been having that problem for a while and just thought of that solution when reading your original post and since I was at work was able to try it on a couple of machines real quick. Anyway maybe they'll fix it in future updates.

Oct 29, 2012 4:29 AM in response to Wardrop19

I don't think it's really accurate to call this a quality control issue. This isn't a bug or defect in anyway. Poor design decision, yes.. I can here looking for the same thing, but you can't say apple has poor quality control and that ML is worse than other versions of OS X becuase they removed a feature you want. Submit feedback over an over an hopefully they will add it back in.

whiteatom

Feb 12, 2014 12:44 PM in response to Wardrop19

Interestingly, in my experience, using the method described above of unchecking the "Show Connected Servers" box in the Finder Preferences makes no difference in what I can put in the sidebar. I was able to move a sub-folder of a shared disk to the Favorites section of the Finder Sidebar, but nothing else. (i.e. I could not add the shard disk itself to the sidebar – either to the devices, favorites, or any other section, and I could only add a subfolder of the shared disk to the favorites section – not to the devices section or any other section). This was the same whether I had "Show Connected Servers" checked or not.

I'm running OS X Mavericks, and the setup I have is with a previous generation Time Capsule (i.e. the short, square kind that you could buy before the most recent taller variety came out last year), with a LaCie 3 TB USB 3.0 external drive plugged into the USB port of the Time Capsule. I'm then accessing this network drive over WiFi. The differences in what I'm seeing may be due to some change they made in the way Mavericks handles these setups.

I could also just be misunderstanding what you're saying, but I thought I'd add this in case anyone else gets similar results so that they'd know they're not alone. Let me know if I'm missing something here.

Feb 15, 2014 5:56 PM in response to gravity black

This isn't working for me, so I'm wondering if there's something else I need to do.

My server, a Synology NAS, shows up nicely and persistently in the SHARED list. When I click on it, I see all its shared folders, including DOCS, the one I want to always get to quickly. I then try to drag DOCS to the sidebar. That doesn't work, either with FAVORITES, DEVICES, or SHARED. It just either slides back, or highlights an existing entry as if I'm trying to move the folder there.

I've tried this with the Preferences item about showing on the desktop both checked and unchecked. No joy either way.

Running Mavericks 10.9.1 on a Mac Mini.

Any thoughts on why this works for you guys and not for me?

Sep 2, 2015 3:42 PM in response to Wardrop19

I am on OS X 10.10.5, and I had this problem as well. It ends up that there are now 4 sections in the sidebar: Favorites, Devices, Shared, and Tags. If you hover over Shared with your pointer, "Show" should appear beside Shared, and if you click that, the drives should show up. Notice that you can hover over these category names and then "Hide" them as well. I don't know if I accidentally hid them at some point, or if the default changed during a software update. Apple Support helped me resolve this.

How to Show Network Drives In Finder Sidebar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.