Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to merge projects in Aperture 3.4

The Aperture 3 User Manual states that to merge a project, I should

• control-click a project
  • choose Import > Library/Project from the shortcut menu (where's that??)
  • In the dialog that appears, select the project or library that I want to merge
  • click import.

When I control-click a project, I get a dialogue with

User uploaded file

Selecting Import has three options: files, folders as projects, and library. Selecting any of these takes me to Finder. Obviously I'm missing the shortcut menu, or perhaps 3.4 changed this function signiicantly.

My objective is to consolidate the many small projects that I've added to my library since Aperture 1 days (I use referenced files). Ideally, I'd convert some of these projects into albums beneath other projects, but that doesn't seem to work very well either.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 6:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 7:29 PM

Hi Nick. This might be easier than you've made it.

The Projects are already in the same Aperture Library? Use Projects view (click "Projects" near the top of the Library tab of the Inspector). Select one or several Projects, and drag-and-drop them on a target Project. The target Project will be the one you end up with. All Images in all the selected Projects will be moved into the target Project, and all the selected Projects will cease to exist.

Along with the information you found, this is on this page of the User Manual.

Added:

The User Manual is simply wrong. You followed the instructions -- afaict -- and they don't do what it says they do. My instructions above should work. Post back.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2012 7:29 PM in response to nickditoro

Hi Nick. This might be easier than you've made it.

The Projects are already in the same Aperture Library? Use Projects view (click "Projects" near the top of the Library tab of the Inspector). Select one or several Projects, and drag-and-drop them on a target Project. The target Project will be the one you end up with. All Images in all the selected Projects will be moved into the target Project, and all the selected Projects will cease to exist.

Along with the information you found, this is on this page of the User Manual.

Added:

The User Manual is simply wrong. You followed the instructions -- afaict -- and they don't do what it says they do. My instructions above should work. Post back.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

Oct 23, 2012 10:33 PM in response to nickditoro

Nick -- Here are my recs -- possible a little bit dated as far as the Apple-supplied stuff, but have a good look on the Apple Aperture resources pages and on the User Manual page "Additional Resources".

My list of resources for learning Aperture.

I don't think any book comes close to Dion Scoppettuolo's "Aperture 3".

It is available in both Kindle and iBook formats. (You can read Kindle format on iPads with Amazon's free reader app.)

I mention it specifically here because there are many not-helpful books on the market.

Oct 24, 2012 3:04 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Added:

The confusion is caused by the fact, that the passage in the manual, that Nick quoted, refers to merging projects from two different Aperture Libraries. And the diction is the old Aperture 1-2 diction, when you could think of an Aperture Library as a project.

I am glad you could sort this out - Kirby; I was confused too by the quoation, and thought, Nick wanted to merge libraries!

Oct 24, 2012 8:00 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby,

I wish I could say I was a newbie, but I'm not. I've used Aperture for years, but tend to do the same things over and over again to suit my immediate needs. I just got tired of having so many overlapping projects in my library, and wanted to re-organize. Still, it's great that someone like you who really knows his stuff is willing to help those of us who are new to Aperture or who need to try something different.

Nick

How to merge projects in Aperture 3.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.