Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13 or 15 inch Retina for travel, video editing and home?

Which is the better machine for home use (mostly used for this), long term travel (with constant moving for a decent period a real possibility) and video editing (I use Final Cut Pro X a fair bit)? Opinions please.

Macbook Pro Retina 15 inch with quad core i7 2.6ghz, 1gb ddr5 nvidia geforce graphics card, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd at 2.1kg in weight.

OR

Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch with dual core i7 2.9ghz, intel 4000 graphics, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd at 1.65kg and €200 cheaper.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 7:33 PM

11 replies

Oct 23, 2012 11:02 PM in response to Randomer

I'm gonna say the 15". Normally the 13 is a far better machine for pure travel (with the MacBook Air being the best), but since you say you are a frequent Final Cut Pro X user with the laptop mostly used at home, the 15" gives you more screen to spread out the FCP interface, plus it has a real graphics card that FCP can take advantage of.

Also, 256GB seems like not enough storage unless you are keeping your HD video footage and FCP temporary files on external hard drives. Or work on really short pieces.

Oct 24, 2012 2:23 AM in response to Network 23

I'm coming from an Air that I was happy enough with, but it lacked speed and got loud quickly when video editing. I'd say the 13inch retina has a quieter fan and I know it has a faster processor with the core i5 or i7 2.5 or 2.9 ghz. I did have problems running motion 5 (2011 macbook air with 1.8ghz core i7 and intel 3000) where it could stutter and I suppose this is where my decision will swing or not. Would I be able to run motion 5 properly with the retina 13? If I can then I'll go for that. If not then I'll keep the 15.

Oct 24, 2012 11:45 AM in response to Randomer

The Motion question, and probably the Final Cut one, might be answered more definitively in the Motion and Final Cut forums instead of this one, since you should get an opinion from people who use those apps daily.

Here's an opinion of the 13" Retina although this guy does photo, not video, editing:

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2012/20121023_1-MacBookPro-Retina-13.html

Oct 26, 2012 11:18 AM in response to Randomer

Randomer wrote:

My concern is that while an intel 4000 grapgics card is better than the intel 3000 in a Macbook Air (that I'm coming from) that performance increase will be cancelled out by the fact the Retina 13 is a higher resolution. Would anyone agree with that?

That might only be answerable by looking for a review with benchmarks comparing to other Macs, not by speculating, since we can't simulate the various variables in our heads precisely enough to make a good guess.

In the absence of that, I suggested the 15" in part because it sounded like the real difference in FCP/Motion work might be having dedicated graphics versus either the 3000 or 4000. And also on the evaluation in the article I linked earlier, which looked at the whole picture of the 13"...half the RAM ceiling, half the cores, integrated graphics...

13 or 15 inch Retina for travel, video editing and home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.