Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Calendar birthday duplication

I use google Comcast and google calendar on my iPad 3rd Generation, iOS6. Recently I have noticed the birthdays synced from my contacts have been duplicated many times (most birthdays have 15 instances in calendar now). Does anyone know why this is happening, or how to fix it?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 9:10 PM

7 replies

Nov 14, 2012 3:26 PM in response to gpbell

I have this issue, too. This is definitely some kind of iOS Calendars bug.

In my Show Calendars setup I have:

- an Exchange account through postoffice.net

- a Gmail/IMAP account with my Personal calendar and one Shared calendar.

- subscribed calendars (CalDAV) for "Australian Holidays," "Full Moon Phase and Astronomy Calendar," and "AAQ" (a public calendar on Gmail)

- the built-in "Birthdays" calendar.

If I have all calendars shown then I can see 49 entries for each person with a birthday: one from the built-in Birthdays calendar, and then 48 other entries from two unidentified sources. They have no coloured dots to identify where they are coming from, but I'm assuming it's two sources with 24 items each (one for each hour of the day).

One unidentified source is formatted:

X's birthday -> all-day

invitees -> Contacts

notes -> Today is X's birthday!

The other unidentified source is formatted:

X's birthday -> all-day

invitees -> Contacts

Here's what happens when I show/hide things:

- Show everything except the Exchange calendar then I still see all 49 items.

- Show everything except the built-in Birthdays calendar then the Birthdays calendar item disappears but the other 48 remain.

- Show everything except the "All Gmail IMAP" items (so not my Personal nor Shared calendars) then I still see all 49 items.

- Show everything except the Subscribed calendars then I still see the Birthdays calendar item and the other 48 disappear. This is stupid, because none of these Subscribed calendars have anything to do with either contacts or birthdays.

Here's where it gets weirder still:

- If I show my Exchange, Birthdays and the shared Gmail calendar (not my personal one), I can show *any one* of my Subscribed calendars and still only see the Birthdays calendar item. If I try to show a second Subscribed calendar then the other 48 items reappear.

Nov 15, 2012 1:46 PM in response to gpbell

I have this exact problem too. Yesterday I was getting 1000+ duplications (no joke). I was so frustrated that I completely reset my iPad last night. I'm still getting duplicate birthday's, some twice, some 3 times, some 5 times. They're all labeled with a gray color that doesn't correspond to any of my calendars (Gmail, Facebook, and "Other").

Nov 15, 2012 1:52 PM in response to gpbell

Hi guys,

I think I've found a solution. I went to https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect and turned off the contacts birthday calendar from syncing. I then went into settings for my calendars and turned them all off as well as my contacts. I then checked the contacts had been deleted from the device and the calendar was also gone. I then closed both the calendar and contacts apps, and then turned the calendar and contacts back on in the settings app. Duplicates are now gone!

Hope this works for everyone else.

Nov 15, 2012 3:30 PM in response to gpbell

Good spotting!

Long before Apple got their act into gear by generating the Birthdays calendar from Contacts data I had been using the "Contact's birthdays and events" calendar in Google Calendar. I had unsubscribed from it (around iOS 5.1 I think), but apparently its iPhone Sync settings persisted. I had to resubscribe to "Contacts' birthdays and events" so that I could see it in https://www.google.com/calendar/iphoneselect to stop syncing it, then I could Unsubscribe again.

After following your procedure (plus disabling Documents & Data in iCloud sync settings) I no longer have 48 greyed Birthday items, now I'm down to three. It's a start! 🙂

Ipad Calendar birthday duplication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.