Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder keeps jumping/scrolling to top

Has anyone else had the issue where Finder will jump to top of list or selected item while browsing files. It is extremely irritating and I've tried turning off various options like spring loading and hiding the size and date added column, but there is no change. It also doesn't matter how the files are sorted. I'm not certain, but it doesn't seem to happen in Icon view, only List view is confirmed issue. Anyone found a fix for this? It happens more often when browsing network volumes.

iPhone, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Late 2011 15" i7- Hi-Res-SSD+1TB HD

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2012 7:44 PM

I've noticed this too. When I'm looking at files on the Macintosh HD, it doesn't do it. But when I have my USB external drive attached, the finder window always jumps to the top when I'm scrolled down and expand another folder.

Anyone else notice this problem?

3 replies

Mar 18, 2013 5:58 AM in response to dsjr2006

I had the same issue since quite a while.

In the meantime I updated to the brand new OSX 10.8.3 yesterday, which doesn't solve the problem.

Finally I discovered, that the problem is user-depending and caused by a user specific preference setting!

So, I could recover the faulty behaviour just by:

- deleting the following file:

$USER/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

- and re-launch Finder afterwards (or alternatively logout/login).

Please note:

In Finder, the $USER/Library directory is declared as hidden by default.

To enable hidden files/folders in finder windows:

Open a terminal window and type the following line in:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Once this is done, hold down the ‘alt’ key on the keyboard and right click on the Finder icon, then

click on Relaunch.

Apr 13, 2013 7:00 AM in response to Johann_O

I was having the same problem as the previous commentors. Finder windows would always jump to the top when I scrolled and, no matter what preference setting I changed, it persisted. Your recommendation to delete the finder prefs file (com.apple.finder.plist) appears to have done the trick!

Fortunately, I operate with my hidden files in view so this was a super easy fix. I still have to now reset some of my finder preferences again. But that's trivial compared to the frustration I was experiencing.

Thank you Johann_O!

Finder keeps jumping/scrolling to top

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.