Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.0.6 Color Board Bug

Can anyone replicate a rather critical bug in 10.0.6 I have discovered.

The colour picker and Shape Masks stop functioning after a number of operations. The only way to get the functions working is to restart FCPX. Then after a number of corrections it stops working again. I haven't found a pattern yet.

The Shape Mask is active as any corrections show up in the mask area but the OSC are absent. The colour picker just stops working completely.

This is a show stopper for me as I make heavy use of secondaries in FCPX and have never needed to go to external 3rd party apps for grading.

I have trashed prefs.

I'm on Lion 10.7.5

12 core Mac Pro with 24GB RAM etc etc. Dreamcolor monitor as second display.

Cheers

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 1:43 AM

13 replies

Oct 24, 2012 6:30 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Several operations being, several colour corrections on several clips in the timeline. After several secondary corrections on different clips with the colour picker just stops working.

I am going to try and count the number of "operations" and see if it fails at the same point and send some more feedback to the FCPX team if I can isolate the bug further.

It's definitely a bug and not user error on my part. I have been able to rule out finger trouble.

There is no way to clear the problem other than a FCPX restart.

Oct 25, 2012 1:19 AM in response to ShakeGuy

I worked out the cause of the bug.

If you're working with the Color Board and select the red and yellow trim handles on a clip this will deselect the Color Board colour picker and shape mask control.

The problem is that when you click in the timeline background to deselect the trim handles the ability to toggle the colour picker and shape mask is lost under some circumstances and there doesn't appear to be a way to get them working again without restarting FCPX.

I was grading and trimming at the same time which showed up the bug quite quickly. However, when I began grading a finished edit I never encountered the bug at all so it is quite possible to workaround the issue. It's a gotcha to be aware of.

So the workaround until a bug fix is released is to be careful not to engage the trim handles while working with the Color Board's picker and mask controls otherwise they'll stop working and you'll have to restart FCPX.

I have let the FCPX team know my findings.

BTW, If someone finds a way to get the controls working without restart please post the answer to this thread as I'd be interested to know.

Cheers

Oct 25, 2012 6:20 AM in response to ShakeGuy

Cannot reproduce this. If I have the clip selected in trim mode, so the edit point is selected, I cannot select the color picker. But if I have the clip selected or if I click off the clip, the color picker and the mask controls still work for me as long as I click on the color picker or click on the shape mask icon in the inspector.

Oct 25, 2012 8:27 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

The bug seems a bit of a difficult one to reliably reproduce i.e right now on a new project created in 10.0.6 I can't make it happen.

I'm sure the bug is down to a particular sequence of operations so I'm keeping an eye out for this and will send it to Apple once I discover it.

I have a screen grab of the shape mask selected in the Color Board and timeline clip selected and no OSC in the viewer.

Nov 1, 2012 6:02 AM in response to C5ELEN

Please report the bug through the Feedback Form if you haven't already done so.

It got me again today.

I can't reliably repeat the bug and have tried to give Apple as much information as possible. It seems to just happen with no pattern or at least no pattern that I can see.

I had a full system wide crash that was only recoverable by a hard reset. I lost the OSC in the viewer when adding a vignette and tried to fullscreen to see if that brought back the controls, it didn't!

Hope they can squash this bug soon.

Nov 1, 2012 6:19 AM in response to ShakeGuy

I reported it to Apple and they were fast to ask me to help them troubleshot the problem. But now I can't riplicate the problem. Im now wondering if I just didn't have the clip in the timeline selected after I made my length adjustmens in the timeline? If you have the color picker selected, then make an adjustment on the output or input of the clip in the timeline, then you must reselect the clip before you can once again select the color picker.

If you can duplicate this problem please make a movie of the process (Quicktime screen capture) so we can send it to Apple.

Nov 1, 2012 6:35 AM in response to C5ELEN

I have been struggling to replicate the issue too. I edited and colour corrected all week without any issue, in fact I thought the problem had cleared but then out of the blue the OSC didn't appear when I selected a shape mask. The shape mask icon was blue, the clip was selected but no OSC controls. 😟

These are the worst bugs to try and find when they're infrequent and apparently random.

C5ELEN what Mac do you use?

I'm on Lion 10,7,5, 12 core, 5870 24 GB 2 displays etc. Do you have anything similar?

Nov 3, 2012 5:03 PM in response to ShakeGuy

Ok.. I have the exact same problem. I've also found no rhyme or reason why it happens. It just disappears and stops working. I captured it here and screen recorded it. I use a MBP RD with 16GM RAM and 700GM SSD. The computer works fine... all **** broke loose after the upgrade though. Not just this.. with crashing and other issues with render files too. Oh well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SnKsvfK9qQ&feature=youtu.be

Nov 4, 2012 12:02 AM in response to Endoman99

That is brilliant Endoman99.

Like you I have found absolutely no pattern to the bug. Sometimes I don't encounter it at all but somedays it haapens nearly everytime I engage either the shape mask or colour picker. I'm pretty sure it's random as far as the user is concerned.

I have noticed that when the +shape mask is clicked there can be a slight delay in the new shape mask appearing which is an indication that the mask on screen controls won't appear. That's the only consistent thing I've noticed about this bug.

Glad it's been captured on film so hopefully the FCPX team can squash it soon.

Cheers

Nov 7, 2012 9:48 AM in response to ShakeGuy

OK guys,

The bottom line is, if you want to eliminate this bug, do not use the vertical scope layout! The bug only occurs when that layout is active and scopes are visible.

If you're intent on using vertical scopes, here's an imperfect workaround:

When the bug occurs, hide the scopes, then in the inspector, toggle the OSC for the Color/Shape Mask and it will reappear.

By the way, this affects any effect that has an OSC, not just Color Picker and Shape Masks. For a 3rd party effect with OSC, you have to click on a correction, then click back on your plugin to get the OSC to reappear.

And in following with Endoman99, here's a video of the workaround in action: http://youtu.be/U5tQunW7qXE

Did it work for you? Please leave a reply.

10.0.6 Color Board Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.