14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2012 3:32 PM by Nheea
jennigje Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi there,

I am cleaning up my iPhoto library. I am going into events and use alt-command-delete to remove images permanently.

Then I delete the trash in iPhoto, and then the trash in my dock.

However, my GB space is DE-creasing instead of INcreasing. Have I overlooked something?

Macbook Pro
  • 1. Re: Freeing up space
    léonie Level 9 Level 9 (51,740 points)

After using ⌥⌘⤆, are the items actually moved to the trash, or are they not put into the trash? You need to open the events in the "Events" view of the source list, not in the separate list of the events further down in the source list.

After emptying the Trash, when you select your iPhoto Library in the Finder and check its size - is the size of your iPhoto Library decreasing or increasing?

libsize.png

Check in the Finder, if the iPhoto library really is the item, that is using most of your disk space.

Regards

Léonie

• 2. Re: Freeing up space
    Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (115,700 points)

Reboot your Mac to clear out caches and check the library size and available disk space again.

OT

• 3. Re: Freeing up space
    Nheea Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have a problem guys.

For freeing up some space, I deleted my Iphoto. Since then, I bought Mountain Lion. One day I needed Iphoto and I wanted to reinstall it but, surprise, I was asked to pay for it. I don't understand why, since the app is coming with the macbook and the OS..

I don't want to pay for it because it's not that good of an app and because I don't know if I'll keep it in the future and because I already had it. But I'd like to reinstall it for a short period of time.. Do you have any idea what should I do and at what doors should I knock?

• 4. Re: Freeing up space
    LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (56,675 points)

Reinstall it from the original source - the restore disks that came with your computer or the App store under purchased Apps (you may have to accept it first)

LN

• 5. Re: Freeing up space

Sorry, I forgot to say that i have a MBA.. and it didn't come with a disk. I tried to reinstall it from somebody elses disk, but it gave me an error. And from App store they ask me to pay it. Because it's not under purchased apps since the macbook already had it.

• 6. Re: Freeing up space
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,850 points)

Reinstall it. It doesn’t come with the OS, it comes with the Mac.

How recent is your Mac? If it came with Reinstall Disks then reinstall from there.

Other than that, log into the App Store with the account you used to set up the machine and download from the Purchases list there.

• 7. Re: Freeing up space

Please read again my 2nd post.

• 8. Re: Freeing up space

Please reread my complete post - expecially the "OR" clause

or the App store under purchased Apps (you may have to accept it first)

Of course you have to log in under the Apple ID you used to set up the system

LN

• 9. Re: Freeing up space

As I already said, it is not there. It was not purchased. If I want it from the App store I have to buy it. And yes, I was logged in. With the same ID I had before the ML.

• 10. Re: Freeing up space
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,850 points)

Check your account settings to make sure it's not hidden on the App Store.

Just curious, why do you now "need iphoto" if you don't want to use it?

• 11. Re: Freeing up space

Sorry - but all new systems come with iPhoto and you either get restore disks (which you did not) or you accept it form the App store  --  and you reinstall from one or the other

If you are having trouble using the App store contact App store support - link on the right side of the App store window

We can not help you with that - only explain how to do it and where to do it - which we hae done

LN

• 12. Re: Freeing up space

Terence Devlin you helped me a lot! It was there, but hidden!

I just gave it an Install! And I want to use it, but for a short period of time, for a few photos, and then uninstall it, because I have too little space on my HD. That was my problem in the first place. And I didn't think that the app was worth the money since I already had it for free. Sorry if I sound cheap, but it's just how I feel.

Thank you again for your help! I simply didn't know that some of the apps are hidden!

Thanks x10!

• 13. Re: Freeing up space
    jennigje Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks Old Toad for solving the original question of this thread. Nheena, no idea what you question is doing in my thread and how it helps me solve my problem? Thanks everyone

• 14. Re: Freeing up space

nevermind, somebody helped me too though..