Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving MSW or TextEdit docs to iCloud - where are they for retrieval?

It does not help being ignorant about iCloud, but I am.

I was saving a transcript in TextEdit when the iCloud prompt screen appeared indicating I could save it there. Because I have no idea where it can be retrieved, I saved it as normal, which is not a problem for me whatsover because I have a meticulously operated IMac with specific folders to save all my documents for various organizations including personal files Something I have done for over 10 years without any problems when it comes to retrieving files for later use. My IMac and MacBook are not lacking storage space. Have lots to spare.

Ancient users like me from the past century may not be catching onto iCloud like I should. I went to a Mountain Lion workshop but it was mostly an overview, no specifics. I found out that Apple has 3 new programs that simulate MSW Office documents. I have a sense that MSW Office files are not compatible with iCloud storage.

Okay! I need help to better understand saving files to iCloud and where on my system is iCloud to retrieve them? And, upon doing so, when I go to my MacBook, can I retrieve the same files on this device?

Dummy #1, for sure! Your patience and understanding will be most appreciated. Look forward to your assistance.

Message was edited by: kananaskis

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 7:19 AM

6 replies

Oct 24, 2012 10:16 AM in response to kananaskis

It will have been saved in your Home/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~TestEdit/Documents folder.

User uploaded file

But remember:

In Lion and Mountain Lion that Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

OT

Oct 25, 2012 5:43 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Greetings, from Canada,

Many thanks, Winston, for your instructions. I performed a 'test' document and saved it to iCloud. When I re-opened TextEdit, as you say, iCloud opens its screen and there was my test document. I have got the picture now with your help. Evidently, I still have a choice as to where I wish to save a document. Knowing about how iCloud works though, is helpful. Displaces me from 'dummy' mode to 'smart' mode.

Have a great day! 🙂

Saving MSW or TextEdit docs to iCloud - where are they for retrieval?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.