Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a Shotgun Mic with Garage Band

I have Garage Band 09 on my MacBook Pro. I have a USB microphone that works great when I plug in into the laptop to record dialogue, etc.

What I'm trying to do now is use a Rode Video Mic plugged into the laptop and record dialogue with Garage Band. I have the Griffin iMic USB adapter that accepts the 3.5 plug from the Rode mic and then plugs into the USB port of the laptop. After making sure in my preferences that the iMic is chosen, I can only get a whisper of sound recording into Garage Band. I've tried the different settings on the Rode mic and looked through everything I can think of in the Garage Band preferences and can't get it to record strong, clear sound. I'm aware that a pre-amp mixer probably would do the trick, but I'm trying to find an economical version for now.

Does anyone have any advice on why I can only get a super quiet recording with this Rode shotgun mic?

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 8:35 AM

2 replies

Oct 24, 2012 8:57 AM in response to HangTime

Hey Hang Time,

Yes, there's the Mic or Line switch on the iMic and it has to be set on the Mic setting when using the external microphone.

I've been playing with the set up again and it's possible I may have found the problem. I was looking at the Recording Level in the control section of Garage Band and adjusted the recording level up. Now I'm getting a good strong recording. I feel foolish to think it may have been something so simple and relating to "operator error."

If anyone has any other suggestions or thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Using a Shotgun Mic with Garage Band

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.