Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange Certificate message in Safari

I was wondering if anyone has been seeing this message in Safari. It occurs when I go from a web page listing sites (such as a listing of jobs) to one of the sites listed. I then get the following message: Safari can't verify the identiy of the website "static.ak.facebook.com". The cewrtificate for this website is invalid. You might be connecting to a website that is p;retending to be "static.ak.facebook.com", which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the website anyway? There are then 3 buttons. "Show Certificate", "Cancel", and "Continue". The certificate is "a248.e.akamai.net", and is issued by GTE Cybertrust Global Root, and I get the message :This certificate is not valid (host name mismatch)". I don't see this message when I connect to the same website in the same manner using either Firefox or Chrome.

iMac (Mid 2010, 3.6 GHz i5, 27", running OS10.8.2, Safari 6.0.1)

I would like to stop seeing this mesage, but don't want to compromise my computer.

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1), 2 iMacs (27" and 24"), MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:28 AM

1 reply

Oct 24, 2012 10:31 AM in response to David Fritzinger

I read that the PC community had this problem last year and that the problem is something re: a security connection that makes it possible for the user's info to be stolen. I don't see how doing the keychain bit and getting a green light will actually safeguard my Mac.

The message comes up whenever I try to navagate from my Google homepage on Safari.

Is there anyway to block this message from appearing and the address?

I've read that for many other users this message has disappeared on its own? It's sticking with me even though I deleted all cookies, did a restart, etc. Any ideas because I really don't want this site to be considered safe.

Thoughts from a super genius?

Strange Certificate message in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.