Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring an iOS 6 Backup on an iOS5 device

I just recently had my iPhone 4s (running iOS 6) stolen. I had insurance so they sent me a new one. When I tried to have it restored, it only had an old restore from an iPhone 4 back in June that I had. It didn't have the latest back-up from 19 October 2012 on my iPhone 4s, which I could see from my iPad. The new iPhone 4s was running iOS 5, not 6. How do I now restore the settings and items from the 19 Oct back-up? I know it exists, just could not see it when I was at that point in the set-up process to restore (I assume because I had iOS 5 on that device, not iOS6). I restored from the June iPhone 4 settings, and then upgraded to iOS6 last night, but I would still like to restore it to the 19 Oct back-up if at all possible.

HOW DO I DO THIS?

Thanks,

Jeff

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:27 AM

2 replies

Oct 25, 2012 12:34 PM in response to jbshaps

Ok, by trial and error, I figured out the steps you have to take, at least on a Verizon Phone. Step One, activate the phone and register as a NEW Phone. Step Two, download iOS 6 and let it reboot and come back up and activate. Step Three, go to the Reset section of the general settings and Select erase all content and settings. Step four, bring the phone back up and then set up with back-up from cloud and select your iOS 6 back-up. Sit back and wait for everything to be restored.

As a side note, this will use a lot of data, so I don't recommend using a MiFi Jetpack as I did...especially if you are going to get step one wrong and restore. LOTS of data wasted. Anyway, if anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer them for you.

Jeff

Restoring an iOS 6 Backup on an iOS5 device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.