Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the Best antivirus software for imac

I am looking for an antivirus software download for my iMac. Apple won't give a recommendation, so what is the best out there?

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 10:41 AM

2 replies

Oct 24, 2012 10:43 AM in response to Pattyfaussett

The short answer is: ClamXav.

The longer answer as to why:

There are many forms of ‘Malware’ that can affect a computer system, of which ‘a virus’ is but one type, ‘trojans’ another. Using the strict definition of a computer virus, no viruses that can attack OS X have so far been detected 'in the wild', i.e. in anything other than laboratory conditions. The same is not true of other forms of malware, such as Trojans. Whilst it is a fairly safe bet that your Mac has NOT been infected by a virus, it may have another security-related problem, but more likely a technical problem unrelated to any malware threat.

You may find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

The User Tip (which you are welcome to print out and retain for future reference) seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them.

More useful information can also be found here:

http://www.reedcorner.net/mmg/

Oct 24, 2012 10:43 AM in response to Pattyfaussett

None.

Helpful Links Regarding Flashback Trojan and Virus Protection

An excellent link to read is Tom Reed's Mac Malware Guide.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on malware.

A link to a great User Tip about the trojan: Flashback Trojan User Tip.

To check for the trojan: Anti Flashback Trojan 2.0.4.

A Google search can reveal a variety of alternatives on how the remove the trojan should your computer get infected. This can get you started. Or the preferred method is to use Apple's protection tool: Flashback Malware Removal Tool 1.0.

Or, open Software Update. If you do not have the Apple protection software installed it will download and install it via Software Update. If no update appears that means you either already have it installed or it isn't needed for your system. The software is only available for Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion versions of OS X.

Also see Apple's article About Flashback malware.

For general anti-virus protection I only recommend using ClamXav.

What is the Best antivirus software for imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.