Skip navigation

Aperture print hang

604 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2012 9:25 AM by Douglas Parks RSS
Douglas Parks Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Oct 24, 2012 12:44 PM

It seems that every time I cancel a print from the OS print dialog box (the second print dialog) it does not return properly to Aperture.  After I do the cancel in the OS dialog i can no longer close the print dialog, change windows or exit Aperture.  The only recovery I have found is to force quit.  Has anyone seen this before?

Aperture 3.4.1

OS X 10.8.2

Epson 3880

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,550 points)
    Oct 24, 2012 1:48 PM (in response to Douglas Parks)

I haven't.  I use a 3880 with Aperture 3.3.2 on 10.8.2.

Does printing work correctly when you don't cancel?  Is there anything out-of-the-ordinary regarding your machine and printer set-up?  Have you looked behind all your windows for a stray dialog box that is waiting to be closed?

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- originally listed incorrect Aperture version number.

• léonie Level 8 Level 8 (46,365 points)
    Oct 25, 2012 1:08 AM (in response to Douglas Parks)

Me too. On both MBPs and the iMac.

After cancelling the System Print dialog, the Aperture print dialog cannot be cancelled and just beeps when pressing any button. I think this is a bug. You may want to send a bug report to Apple: From the main Aperture menu bar:

"Aperture➞Send Aperture Feedback" http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html

To avoid "Force Quit" - for that may corrupt your Aperture library - I'd suggest to use the Terminal to quit Aperture; see my User Tip here:

If Aperture is unresponsive, how to avoid force quitting?

Regards

Léonie

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion, AP Version 3.4.1, Mac OS X 10.8.2
  • Coffeeplatoon Calculating status...
    Nov 16, 2012 7:55 AM (in response to Douglas Parks)

Have same issue using v3.4.3.  Aperture hangs after canceling out of the system print menu (after checking printer settings, for example). Then need to force quit and get message about repairing the library.  Is the library really at risk or is this another bug?

Nov 16, 2012 7:59 AM (in response to Coffeeplatoon)

Force Quitting is always risky with a database application, for it prevents the stopped process from completing the transactions and closing the files properly.

If you force quit, you should always repair.

Better use the Terminal to quit Aperture, if it hangs in the "Print" dialog:

If Aperture is unresponsive, how to avoid force quitting?

• ajsail Calculating status...
    Dec 1, 2012 12:21 PM (in response to Douglas Parks)

Not being able to exit the Aperture Print dialog box, and locking up Aperture, is a known problem  according to a senior Aperture person I spoke with about two weeks ago. Something they are, I hope, going to fix - but not everyone is affeted (I had no problems until the Mountain Lion upgrade). If one continues to  print from the printers dialog print box - no problem ; but, exiting back to Apertures print panel and then hit "cancel" the program locks up, cannot escape getting out of that printer dialog box.. On my system hitting the Esc. key or Command W will take me right back into Aperture w/o quiting the program; or having to "force quit".

ajzsail

Dec 1, 2012 12:31 PM (in response to ajsail)

On my system hitting the Esc. key or Command W will take me right back into Aperture w/o quiting the program; or having to "force quit".

Great! That works for me too with Aperture 3.4.3! Thanks for sharing!

• Greg Beaton Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)
    Dec 16, 2012 7:47 AM (in response to léonie)

Phew! The ESC trick works for me too. - gen 2 MBP - Thanks for the tip!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.