Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth support on Iphone 5

I cannot get my car speakerphone to work with my iphone 5 nor my wifes Iphone 4S. I have been given some feedback that the Iphone 5 uses bluetooth 4.0 and my device is a bluetooth 2.1. However, I don't think this excuse is credible - a new level of bluetooth software or support shoudl be upwardly compartible with prio rversions - especcially for simple devices such as a car speakerphone. Can someone verify that the Iphone 5 with bluetooth 4.0 level support should or should not work with devices that only support bluetooth 2.1. And if not, I would like a good explanatino from Apple as to why they didn't build support for prior devices intot the product.

Additionally - should this bluetooth 2.1 device not work with an ipone 4s?

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 1:48 PM

3 replies

Oct 24, 2012 1:55 PM in response to Ernie Payne

Since we have no idea what kind of car speakerphone you have, we can't comment on whether it should work or not.

Bluetooth 4.0 is fully backwards compatible. A bluetooth 2.1 compliant device that supports the Hands Free Protocol should work just fine.

If you have a system that's trying to use the SIM Access Protocol, as many in Europe do, it won't work.

Here's a list of supported bluetooth profiles: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647

Oct 24, 2012 2:03 PM in response to Ernie Payne

You are not addressing Apple here and they will not be here to answer your question. Compatability with devices is the responsibility of the device manufacturer to make sure it complies with whatever version of Bluetooth you are trying to use. If a device complies with v2.1 as you say, it is not Apple's responsibility to ensure that their device is backwards compatible with all older devices. Each device is different and just because it is v2.1 does not mean it is a standard. You were provided a support document that Apple has to describe the bluetooth standards they support. Check with your device manufacture and see if the device will work with bluetooth v4.0. They are the ones to answer that question.

Bluetooth support on Iphone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.