Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro shuts down when my iphone 5 is close.

When I have my iphone 5 close to my Macbook Pro, my Mac shuts down until I move the phone away from it. I presume the technology in the phone is interrupting the technology of the Mac but it shouldn't do that in my opinion. My friend has the same model Macbook Pro and Iphone5 and it happens to her as well. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue or has any tips.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 2:45 PM

8 replies

Oct 24, 2012 2:59 PM in response to NicJD1111

I would guess that you are placing the iphone 5 near the right side of your notebook. Most likely the magnets int eh speakers/microphone are tripping the lid close switch making the notebook thinking that the screen has been closed putting the system to sleep.

I used to have that happen to me all the time when I would accidentally set a portable hard disk on the palm rest of my MacBook Pro. The magnet in the HD would trip the lid close sensor and put the system to sleep.

Macbook pro shuts down when my iphone 5 is close.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.