Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an iPhone 4S on which I bought the Apple Care policy. The phone was broken and I was told that Apple would do nothing as it was "beyond economical repair". Does anybody know where in the Apple Care agreement the topic of beyond economical repair?

I recently brought in a broken iPhone 4S and was told the damage was too great and therefore that is was BER and Apple would not cover the phone. I have never dealt with this issue before and was curious as to where in the terms and conditons Apple reserves the right to not cover if the think that the phone is beyond economical repair. When I asked clerk I was told that everybody knew that BER applied and "you would not expect an insurance cover to pay for a car if it was totalled." I told the gentleman in that case the BER only applies as to whether I received money for car or insurance company repaired the vehicle. When I asked to see the terms that set this out nobody in the store (or the chat support agent later). Does anybody know where this term or terms is set forth. Also, has nobody ever questioned if it is fair to sell consumers coverage for accidental damage and not tell them that only small damage is covered and not major damage? I am a little suprised unless I am missing something really obvious. I have never had this issue with Asurion or with Best Buy coverage. Thanks

iPhone 4S

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 7:18 PM

3 replies

Oct 24, 2012 7:21 PM in response to Witbear31

You mention Apple Care, not Apple Care + which are two completely different things. Apple Care is nothing more than an additional year of standard warranty coverage. Apple Care + is what addressed accidental damage. Warranty has never covered accidental damage. What kind of damage did you do? An out of warranty replacement can be done for $199 for the iPhone 4S, and that just means you brought the phone in at least somewhat intact.

Never heard the term, but what I wrote above is what warranty is.

Oct 24, 2012 7:33 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Actually I should have been clearer- it was Apple Care + and when I bought the policy I was told it covered "accidental damage" . The store clerk brought up the term "beyond economical repair" and said they would not cover as it was too damaged. ( the phone bounced down cement steps in a parking lot and front shatterd and came off) The clerk said that no Apple poiicy would cover anything that was so damaged.

I have an iPhone 4S on which I bought the Apple Care policy. The phone was broken and I was told that Apple would do nothing as it was "beyond economical repair". Does anybody know where in the Apple Care agreement the topic of beyond economical repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.