7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2014 12:13 PM by gsamarco
Eatingwithchopsitcks Level 1 Level 1

I'm using my Nikon D800 and tethering it into a MacBookPro 9,2 with a 12 ft USB3 cable.

Activating the tethering and shooting JPEG FINE seems to work.  HOWEVER, once I switch to RAW - things get weird.

One single shot in RAW allows the image to go into Aperture.

Two consecutive shots (or more) then disconnects the camera from Aperture.  Basically the camera connected goes from "D800" to "No camera detected"

I'm running with 8GB RAM and a 256B SSD drive which works amazing with the JPEGs firing right through with no problems..

Did the old restart, camera on/off, straight to RAW settings - nothing works for RAW.

Anyone can help?

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • William Lloyd Level 7 Level 7

Have you tried with a shorter USB cable?  12 feet seems kinda long for a copper cable; I wonder whether there's an issue with pushing the data that far.

• Eatingwithchopsitcks Level 1 Level 1

Yes, I've tried a 3 foot cable and it's still the same issue.

I've previously had a 15 foot USB2.0 cable that's worked for dozens of tethering shoot - and I've heard that USB 3.0 may have issues when using cables more than 15 feet. 

However, I just finished another shoot with JPEG large - and shot over 300 frames (some in very quick succession) and haven't had a single stoppage.

Just to show -the typical JPEG image sizes are around 15-20MB.. while the RAW files are usually around 48-50MB

Still not sure what could be the problem.

• Aye Es Oh Level 2 Level 2

Looking around online, the firmware on some D800's have a bug that could cause connectivity issues. You might want to see if following these instructions to upgrade your firmware changes anything.

• JQJr Level 1 Level 1

I had the same problems with Aperture losing connection with my D800.  After switching cables and updating firmware the problem still persisted.  So I switched to the latest version Lightroom 4 that supports D800 tethering and it seems to work just fine(single shots and bursts of multiple frames).  I really thought it was a loose connection with the USB port on the D800 but it appears to be some issue in the Aperture software.

• samarco Level 1 Level 1

I have teh same issue, even with the latest 1.01 update from Nikon.

JPEG works fine on Aperture but not RAW. Lightroom 4 works flawless. I'd hate to have to move to Lighroom because of this

• jcxstar13 Level 1 Level 1

Has this still not ben solved?  I am using a d800 and aperture and love the two together but the teathering is such a pain in the ***.

• gsamarco Level 1 Level 1

I gave up on Aperture for tethering with the D800. I downloaded Sofortbild (it's a free app) and it got better, but I still had issues until I got a new tether tools cable with the L shaped connection. Now it works flawless.

I really wish Apple would release a new updated version of Aperture...