Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.4.6 freezing

Random freezes. The mouse will move, but windows won't move and everything (menus, launchers, etc). is absolutely frozen

Had no problem with 10.4.5. I have done everything that is always advised with no luck. repair permission, disc utility, DW, so on and so forth.

Any other suggestions before I do a clean install.

I do blame 10.4.6. There is no denying that fact. I have no weird extensions or hacks either.

1.25 emac, 1 gig of ram Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Apr 16, 2006 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2006 10:55 AM

Did you check the hard drive for any directory problems with Disk First Aid repair when booted from the Tiger install disc immediately before installing the 10.4.6 update and were all applications quit during the install?

If so, there are hundreds and sometimes over 1000 changed files in different directories or folders, many of them in large bundles or packages with a major OS update such as 10.4.6 and sometimes things can go wrong. I have never experienced any problems after installing all of the major OS updates included with Jaguar, Panther and so far with Tiger.

Not sure if you need to perform an Erase & Install (clean install is an OS 9 term and no longer used with OS X). I would consider an Archive & Install first selecting preserve user and network settings.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2006 10:55 AM in response to Robert Martinez

Did you check the hard drive for any directory problems with Disk First Aid repair when booted from the Tiger install disc immediately before installing the 10.4.6 update and were all applications quit during the install?

If so, there are hundreds and sometimes over 1000 changed files in different directories or folders, many of them in large bundles or packages with a major OS update such as 10.4.6 and sometimes things can go wrong. I have never experienced any problems after installing all of the major OS updates included with Jaguar, Panther and so far with Tiger.

Not sure if you need to perform an Erase & Install (clean install is an OS 9 term and no longer used with OS X). I would consider an Archive & Install first selecting preserve user and network settings.

Apr 16, 2006 11:23 AM in response to Robert Martinez

Allen,

I just did an archive and install. I figure I might as well take the plunge. I tried all the steps you mentioned above. I think I am going to update up to 10.4.5 and just wait a bit.

Thanks for the quick response.

I have seen the same issue with other people and the only thing you can really do is to reformat it seems. It is a pity for some of us that have this bug.

Apr 16, 2006 11:33 AM in response to Robert Martinez

You're welcome.

I tried all the steps you mentioned above.

Not sure if this answers my previous question.

If you frequent these Discussions, it is the same story after each and every major OS update.

"The recent 10.x.x update killed this or that" and it was the same after the 10.4.5 update was released. You didn't have any problems after installing the 10.4.5 update but a number of others did and the same with the 10.4.6 update.

More often than not, the process of installing the update brings an existing, underlying and unnoticed problem to the surface only and as previously provided, sometimes something goes wrong with the installation process.

Apr 28, 2006 11:50 AM in response to Robert Martinez

I tried to install 10.4.6 over 10.4.5 on a Rev A 12" Powerbook. Would not complete the install. Problems like many are having. I hauled out the original Tiger CD, booted into the Apple Hardware Test, and checked the system. Turns out the added memory stick (1G) was giving an error. Pulled out that chip, did the install again, and it worked fine.

I think 10.4.6 is more sensitive to RAM type. 10.4.5 had worked fine with that chip.

Check your RAM with Apple Hardware Test. Most added RAM has a lifetime guarantee too.

May 14, 2006 10:23 PM in response to Robert Martinez

The exact same thing is happening to me on a 20" iMac that's less than two months old. everything worked perfect on 10.4.5, but since upgrading to 10.4.6 the Finder appears to lock up about 30 seconds after boot. Right now I'm doing an archive and install of my old system and going back to 10.4.5.

I should say, also, that 10.4.6 installed on my iBook and it hasn't shown me any problems, and I have all the same software installed on it. Weird.

You know, I've been using a Mac for 21 years, and this is the very first time I've ever had a problem after installing one of Apple's OS upgrades. That's a pretty good run. 🙂

May 14, 2006 10:40 PM in response to Mac VFX Artist

I found out that my problem is a bad logic board on my emac that is common for the 1.25 model.

please see the thread below for details...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2315566#2315566

I hope Apple does that right thing and does a recall or a repair program on these machines.

1.25 emac 1 gig of ram Mac OS X (10.4.6)

10.4.6 freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.