Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up the whole Macbook Pro from a Time Machine was not a good idea

So here's my little story... I've started to had a problem yesterday with a game running with crossover on my mac. Since the game was working fine 2 days ago I've decided to back up my whole computer from my Time Machine. After 5 hours of work the machine restarted and oh! My game work just as fine as it was 2 days ago...

What could go wrong ?? ... Well everything. The first thing I've noticed is that my iPhone 5 would not save anymore... No big deal, deleted all the last saved backup and guess what ? Problem solved. Next thing you know... The notification center was not working anymore... So, after searching a bit decided to reinstall the last update for mountain lion... Problem solved again. The last but not least, Mail app... Decided to check my mail. Whoops.. Crashes. Comptuer restart ... Crashes again. Then it went downhill, super slow... Mail not working... Safari and iMessage went down and iCloud would not work either...

Now ? Factory recovery here I come ! But wait... I have 2 days of file backing ahead of me. 5000 songs + 150 movies + 1500 photos.

Special thanks to Time Machine for all that great work... When you don't need it it's awsome, you can show to all your friends how many backups you have inside this white box...

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.4GHz Intel i7 4GB Ram 750GB

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 11:45 PM

There are no replies.

Backing up the whole Macbook Pro from a Time Machine was not a good idea

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.