Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps are taking more space than said on App Store!

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask, I've got my new iphone 5 from 1 week and I began to download apps from App Store. I downloaded an app that is 30 mb, when I downloaded it i went to the usage in settings and found out it is 60mb or more the same thing with other apps I download them straight from App Store and before even opening them when they are done, I go to settings> general > usage and find out it is taking more space than its Said on the App Store. Btw this is on my iphone 5 but I don't think the device has anything to do with my problems

Plz help thanx :D

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 12:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 12:44 AM

The space listed in the AppStore is the download size. Apps are compressed for download so they don't use up as much of your data allowance.

When they are installed they are expanded.

Its exactly like zip files you download on your PC. When un-zip them to install, they become larger.

4 replies

Oct 25, 2012 12:46 AM in response to aliibrahim97

Also to add on to Julian's response, for apps that allow you create saved files of your games or download videos or other content, these content will take up space that is beyond what is stated in the App Store. The estimated size of the app listed is only for the app itself and not for any content that you might have created/downloaded/synced.

Apps are taking more space than said on App Store!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.