Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAW import and filters in Aperture - red faces

I've imported RAW pictures taken in bad light conditions (8 000 ISO or more) in Aperture. As a consequence I have some and the faces of people in pictures appear "red", due to the visible noise.

When I upload those picts directly to my iPad 2, it seems the picts are filtered and the faces are "normal", the red colour is reduced. Picts are nice.

When I upload those picts in Aperture, after having applied some filters for optimizing the RAW pict, I can not remove completly the red colour. I can not get the same result as I have on the iPad : picts seem to be better on my iPad (compared with what I can get on the Mac with Aperture).

I'm not an Aperture expert, but does anybody know what kind of filter (equivalent to Aperture presets) are applied on RAW picts when importing on the iPad ?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 1:19 AM

4 replies

Oct 25, 2012 9:16 AM in response to FranckV75

When I upload those picts directly to my iPad 2,

How do you import to your iPad? Reading the card using the camera connection kit? Or uploading from your Mac?

The specifications of the camera connection kit say for the supported image file types

iPad and the Camera Connection Kit support standard photo formats, including JPEG and RAW, along with SD and HD video formats, including H.264 and MPEG-4.

but I doubt, that this means that the iPad does any raw processing at all. When I upload raw images from my Lumix FZ28 or FZ 50, I see beautiful photos on the iPad, but the iPad is only showing me the jpeg embedded in the raw, or the jpeg of the raw&jpeg pair.

Also, when I import single raw images (not raw + jpeg pairs), only the embedded thumbnail is displayed and has a very poor resolution.

So, have you been importing raw+jpeg pairs or single raw files? In the case of the raw+jpeg pairs you probably are seeing the in-camera processing in the jpeg of the pair on your iPad.

Oct 25, 2012 2:28 PM in response to léonie

"How do you import to your iPad? Reading the card using the camera connection kit? Or uploading from your Mac?"

==> I use the Apple camera connection kit, so using a direct connection between the digital camera and the iPad. The resolution on the iPad is very good.

I also have noticed, when I plug the iPad 2 to the mac (iOS 6), Aperture starts and proposes to import picts from the iPad whithin my APerture Library. I can see the picts I have previously imported into the iPad using a direct connection between the digital camera and the iPad.

Those picts are shown in RAW format (.CR2). So I guess RAW picts are imported in RAW format in the iPad (during the direct import). And the iPad includes a native RAW viewer in the mobile app "Photos". This app may include some filter or noise reduction capabilities.

"So, have you been importing raw+jpeg pairs or single raw files?"

==> I import single RAW files. On the camera, a Canon 5D mk iii, I have configured mRAW only, disabling the jpeg pair.

What do you mean by "embedded jpeg in the raw" ?

Oct 25, 2012 2:37 PM in response to FranckV75

What do you mean by "embedded jpeg in the raw" ?

A single raw file also contains an embedded jpeg as a thumbnail. When I import single raw files to my iPad (I could only test this with my Lumix today - the Canon 5D is at my office) it will display the raw images only with a reduced resolution - they are not as sharp as when displayed on the mac. It looks like the iPad only were showing the embedded thumbnail and not rendering the raw.

Oct 26, 2012 12:55 AM in response to léonie

The iPad may show this embedded jpeg in the RAW, but the picts shown in the "Photos" app are nice. Paraparadoxically, they're better compared of what I see in Aperture on the Mac. The resolution is correct. Do you believe the embedded jpeg has a better resolution than 1024 X 768 (iPad 2) ?

And the CR2 picts (RAW format for 5D mk iii) are in the iPad : I can import them into Aperture library when I plug the digital camero to the Mac.

Any idea for having the Aperture presets equivalent to the embedded jpeg pict visible on iPad ?

RAW import and filters in Aperture - red faces

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.