Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Homes problems

Hi all,

I'm running in to a lot of prblems with Network homes and unfortunately it is all very random.

I manage a lab of 25 iMacs running 10.7.4 connected to an xServe running 10.7.4 Server.

The basic problem is that the macs take an age to log in to the network accounts. Sometimes they will log in fine but other times a few will log in then it can take up to 20 mins to log in. We get a spinning ball on the login screenafter the password is entered.

I've replaced the server hardware (I had another xServe I could use), replaced the boot drive. Replaced the OS and in a final bid last week exported all the users, downgraded to standalone and then upgraded to ODM. This seemed to work for a couple of days but now I'm back to square one!

I've checked the server and the processors, RAM and network (Gigabit Cat 6 on managed switches) - none of them are under pressure?

Can anybody suggest what else I can try?

Xserve, OS X Server

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 7:05 AM

5 replies

Nov 1, 2012 7:23 PM in response to Gerard Allen

Bit of a long shot but. Have you checked for any firmware updates for your switches

I had trouble with quite well known brand of brand new switches a few years back

Not quite the problem you're seeing but the switches would stop traffic on random ports

I could still ping but no traffic would flow quite bazar behaviour only powering the switches of and on would clear it

After tearing my hair out numerous calls to the switch manufacturers, cable tests,replacement switches, buck passing

Several firmware updates later that each promised to fix the issue, finally the problem was gone

Network Homes problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.