Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I connect an external HDD to my AirPort Express?

I would like to know how I can do to acces my HDD that I've connected to the USB-port on my AirPort Express.

I can't seem to fint anything in "AirPort-Utilities" that has anything to do with a harddrive.

Thank you for helping a lost student! 🙂

AirPort Express-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 10:18 AM

8 replies

Oct 25, 2012 1:42 PM in response to John Galt

What I've done is that I've bought a new HD with 2TB and two cables, one for data and one for electricity. The computer I'm using is a MacBook Pro that I take with me to school every day and sometimes home to my parents. I want to be able to access all the data on the HD from wherever I may be so that I can't forget anything and so that I allways have somewhere to backup my computer.

Oct 25, 2012 1:49 PM in response to Atom in Pink

Thanks, I thought it would be something like that. You need to configure Back to my Mac according to the following, and no, the Express won't do:

Setting up and using Back to My Mac with an AirPort base station or Time Capsule

Requirements for using Time Capsule or an 802.11n-based AirPort base station with Back to My Mac and the iCloud service

• Time Capsule, AirPort Express (802.11n), or AirPort Extreme (802.11n)
  • A compatible, external USB hard drive* connected to AirPort Extreme (802.11n) for remote file access. (An external USB drive may optionally be used with Time Capsule for additional storage.)
  • AirPort Firmware 7.6.1 or later
  • AirPort Utility 6.0 or later (6.1 or later recommended)
  • An iCloud account
  • OS X Lion v10.7.3 or later (OS X Lion v10.7.4 recommended)

Note: AirPort Express does not support external drives via its USB port.

How can I connect an external HDD to my AirPort Express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.