Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my iphone data stored on the SIM card?

Had my iphone for a year or so. It has a fairly extension phone book. Don't care about the photos or apps, but I want to preserve my contacts. Are those data already stored on my SIM card? Or do I have to save all that to my SIM card? And if so, how do I do that?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 11:02 AM

13 replies

Oct 25, 2012 11:23 AM in response to nlavecchia

I'll try and explain it a little easier if you like. As you were told by razmee209, the iPhone does not store any contact data on the SIM card as other phones use to. This is by design. Contacts are saved in the Contact application on the phone, and can be synced to Address book, or Windows Contacts, or Outlook on the computer. That allows for changes to be made either on the phone or the computer and then synced so both devices have the same information. A newer service is iCloud for Apple, but moving to a non-iOS device limits what you can do. If the new phone supports syncing with the computer and the applications I mentioned above, then no problem. If not, then you need to know what it supports so you can tell how to transfer them. If it will accept a cloud service, one choice is Gmail, which will support downloading your contacts to them, and then transferring to the new device if it supports it. Good luck.

Oct 26, 2012 9:13 AM in response to nlavecchia

The phone is not designed to move data from the phone to iTunes. The music library is supposed to already be in iTunes. You will need to have your iTunes library from where ever you obtained the music at and back it up and move it to this different computer. There is a method of moving that, check the search box here and you can find a support document that lets you know how to move your library.

Oct 26, 2012 9:45 AM in response to paulcb

Yep, I was able to figure out the purchase transfer. But only a very small portion of the tunes I had on my iphone were purchased. Most were imported from CD into iTunes on a PC, and then downloaded to the device. I just assumed the iphone data storage was just like any other storage device and you could move things on and off just like a hard drive, thumb drive, etc. I was hoping not to have to gather up the dozens of CDs and re-import everything, then recreate all the playlists. I guess I'll have to start from scratch. Thanks Apple!

Anyway, thanks guys for your help.

Is my iphone data stored on the SIM card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.