Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DriveGenius = Problem

Hello,

I installed DriveGenius when I was using the Lion. Everything worked fine. But then... I updated to Mountain Lion and tried to do a "fragmentation" "recovery", they dismounted my HD and everything worked BAD.

I called the Genius and what they said was: It was a HD problem. So I started to freak out. But then I came with a idea: I still have access to my HD (via recovery tool). So I "reseted" the HD, removed everything and installed the Snow Leopard. What happened? Ok, I lost everything, but my Mac is here "alive" again.

It's just a tip: Don't use third-party software, when you Mac do the same thing. Like verifying if the HD is fragmented...

Oh and yeah, I'm still with Snow Leopard, going back to Mountain Lion in some minutes (:

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 1:23 PM

3 replies

Oct 25, 2012 3:00 PM in response to Yeltsin Lima

Except in very rare circumstances, you do NOT need to defrag a Mac.

If you ever do need to, simply clone the entire Macintosh HD to an external drive, boot from the external and use DU from there to erase the internal Macintosh HD and clone the entire system back to Macintosh HD.

Far safer than using any commercial software and you have a backup too.

Jan 23, 2013 8:19 AM in response to Yeltsin Lima

never use an older version of Apple Disk Utility or ANY disk utility program with a new OS. Ever.

Wait for it to be certified and updated. There will be and are changes, many under the hood, that affect TechTool Pro and DG and Disk Warrior as well as others.

Used properly they can offer features that DU will not. But defrag? that to me is done very simple old school: dump to a new drive, pull the old drive (will be backup) and use the new drive.

Erase and start fresh with a new OS and keep the old OS around (SL or Lion or even 10.8.1) until yuo know you can overwrite the old OS.

DriveGenius = Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.