Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Mail: Preview and keep Unread

I've recently begun using Mac OS X Mail 6.2, and I have a simple question. How can I use the Message Preview window, without the email automatically being marked as Read? I wish to keep the email marked as Unread until I actually open it.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 2:05 PM

7 replies

Oct 27, 2012 9:48 AM in response to jtd18

Some possibilities:

In Mail, Preferences, Viewing, there is a menu called "List Preview" which shows how many lines of a message to show without actually reading the message. Also, you can just close the preview part of the window (double-click the left hand border of it). Then you can click on messages - selecting them - and not read them. You have to double-click on them, or press return to read them. And they open in their own window.

Also, if you read one unintentionally, just select it and press command-shift-u to mark it unread again.

charlie

Oct 27, 2012 9:54 AM in response to CT

Thanks Charlie,

This is exactly how I've configured Mail for the time being. I'd like to use the actual Message Preview window rather than only relying on the List Preview, but the set up you described will work fine until Apple allows the functionality I described.

I appreciate your suggestions!

OS X Mail: Preview and keep Unread

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.